Knot thread (formerly the Bill Jacksons thread)

CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Yet another fad I'll pass on.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
willemac
Supporter 2009 - 2012

Post by willemac »

I like the red phillips knot and the triple surgeons (if no hooks involved), and I can tie them on the water.
It's the other three quarters that can't be trusted!!!
Mac

Hobie AI
aquaholik

Post by aquaholik »

Try it Todd, it might make a believer out of you. It's one of four braid to mono knot that doesn't require a knot in the mono. The other three are mid-knot, PR knot, FG knot. This variation of the FG knot is far easier to tie and holds everytime when compare to the midknot. It even works with coated wire.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

aquaholik wrote:[Try it Todd, it might make a believer out of you.
Never doubted it Lee, just had never heard of the knot or seen it before. Posted the link so others could see. I am sure it will take a few times to get the hang of it, looks interesting.

I should stop by your shop and have you show it to me, that might be easier.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

aquaholik wrote:
Try it Todd, it might make a believer out of you. It's one of four braid to mono knot that doesn't require a knot in the mono. The other three are mid-knot, PR knot, FG knot. This variation of the FG knot is far easier to tie and holds everytime when compare to the midknot. It even works with coated wire.
Looks great but MAN, that's a lot of work, especially on a kayak. And forget it if you're half blind. Sure hope that vid didn't make me more blind. FOCUS dude! ...sheesh. :lol:

Thanks for the vid Todd. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
aquaholik

Post by aquaholik »

Todd wrote:
aquaholik wrote:[Try it Todd, it might make a believer out of you.
Never doubted it Lee, just had never heard of the knot or seen it before. Posted the link so others could see. I am sure it will take a few times to get the hang of it, looks interesting.

I should stop by your shop and have you show it to me, that might be easier.
Yes, you need to. I even have the Samurai Braid for you to look at, and just bought the 20lb Saltiga Surf braid from Dogfish to test it. Slow day at work, M-W and I have been tying and testing that knot the last two weeks or so and the other three to see if it can dethrone the Bimini to Yucatan combo.

The Sebile knot is very easy to tie, three half hitches to finish it is all you need. Don't get complicated like the guy in the video. Or you can finish it Jay Wither's way on youtube. No super glue is needed.

So far the Bimini-Yucatan still rules. All this discussion is for fun since nobody is going to use more than 10lb drag on 10lb braid and all knots mentioned in this thread will easily break above 10lbs(except for my 18lb Samuraid braid, darn thing keeps getting weaker and snap around 10lbs of pressure).

The 20lb Saltiga Surf is also very smooth but according to the label, it's bigger than 10lb Stren and 10lb PP in diameter, yet it is weaker. 19lbs was the best I got and I got 10lb Stren and PP to break at 24lbs. So the cheaper line is actually smaller and stronger, and will be just as smooth after all the coating rubs off. I wasted my money so you don't have to :x .
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Lee you are a good man.

I would be as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs with that Sebile knot. But if you say it holds I'll trust you.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

seeinred wrote:My young eyes and sturdy hands make tying it a breeze. It's not as hard as it looks, promise.
That does it. I will tie and try the Sebile Knot, you young wipper snapper, you. But truly, this knot seems very boring to me -- too many wraps.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Rik

Post by Rik »

A couple versions of that knot have been around for a long time but mainly used by the offshore guys.

Watch the first minute of this video, of the FG knot version, and you'll see a quicker way to make the wraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5zRWvJ ... re=related
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

With nothing better to do, I tried some of the knots mentioned.

The Red Phillips Knot leaves to big of tag (for lack of a better term) when you pull the mono knot tight. I tied two, 20 lb and 30 lb. IMO when reeling this knot in through the guides, your going to get it caught every time. It might cast OK, but everytime it catches on the guide when reeling it back in, your going to damage the guides and weakin the knot.

Havent tried the Sebiele (sp) knot yet. Looks like it would be easy enough once you did a few times. Not sure about tieing one in the kayak though.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29791&st

Post by Norm »

Heywood wrote:With nothing better to do, I tried some of the knots mentioned.

The Red Phillips Knot leaves to big of tag (for lack of a better term) when you pull the mono knot tight. I tied two, 20 lb and 30 lb. IMO when reeling this knot in through the guides, your going to get it caught every time. It might cast OK, but everytime it catches on the guide when reeling it back in, your going to damage the guides and weakin the knot.

Havent tried the Sebiele (sp) knot yet. Looks like it would be easy enough once you did a few times. Not sure about tieing one in the kayak though.
Thanks for the video Todd....just like they say...a picture is worth a thousand words. Anyone who has stuck their fingers in a chinese fingercuff, knows how impossible it is to slip. I will definitely have to try this one out.
If Im diligent about checking my leader lengths before I go out, I rarely have to retie while out in my boat, so tying on the boat isn't really a factor.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mudfish

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29791&am

Post by mudfish »

Norm wrote:...If Im diligent about checking my leader lengths before I go out, I rarely have to retie while out in my boat, so tying on the boat isn't really a factor.
I agree Norm, but if anything, I find myself having to retie my leader mainly after performing braided line "knot ectomy's". Sometimes sacrificing 10-15 feet of knotted braid line is easier and cheaper than taking 15-20 minutes from my fishing time (plus the aggravation) trying to undo a birds nest. (IMHO)
Changing short or frayed leader is secondary for me.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Mark R

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29791&am

Post by Mark R »

teamshaft3 wrote:
Norm wrote:...If Im diligent about checking my leader lengths before I go out, I rarely have to retie while out in my boat, so tying on the boat isn't really a factor.
I agree Norm, but if anything, I find myself having to retie my leader mainly after performing braided line "knot ectomy's". Sometimes sacrificing 10-15 feet of knotted braid line is easier and cheaper than taking 15-20 minutes from my fishing time (plus the aggravation) trying to undo a birds nest. (IMHO)
Changing short or frayed leader is secondary for me.
You're not alone there. But you probably just got PBR started again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
pbr

Post by pbr »

Mark R, dont you know? It's the reel. :P
Last edited by pbr on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Told ya so. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?