Kayak fishing just off shore in the Gulf

Flamingo to Big Bend
TerryW

Kayak fishing just off shore in the Gulf

Post by TerryW »

The Gulf has been so calm the past few days. Other than a possible kingfish or wayward tarpon, what might I find out there nearshore? Other than live bait, what what I use? Remember, with the Hobie, I can troll.

What type of leader would I need for mackerel?

There is some structure south of the city beach/pier and some way north on the island and about a mile offshore (where I won't venture alone!)
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
noles

Post by noles »

Give it another month Terry and the "rays" will start showing up. I have a new rod & reel for the upcoming season. :wink:
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I can't wait!!!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I also have a nice new rod and reel, Noles and I'm looking forward to those kingfish. (This time, I'm heading out to the reef with Vlap and the Cook. It's much safer out there. :lol: )

But my question is: What about NOW? Are the mackerel out there? Other fish? There is so much bait along the shore.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

noles

Post by noles »

should be some macs, bonita, lady fish out there; are you on the island this weekend?
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Yep. On island. C'mon out tomorrow.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

noles wrote:Give it another month Terry and the "rays" will start showing up. I have a new rod & reel for the upcoming season. :wink:
I can't wait for the "rays" to show up again! :lol:
I'll have a new outfits ready as well. I found my numbers for the GPS too. I'll be making that paddle out a couple of times this year. I'll be ready for round 2 with that big shark that almost ate me last year. Man, I wish Jeff was rolling video on that. It would have been one to replay over and over again.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Beach is a good bet. Me and JD fished the beach today and snook, reds, big trout, and huge spanish. The big flounder have moved in too. It was glass calm today, we didnt see anything working out deeper but there was tons of ladyfish and spanish just outside the beach. Some nice blackdrum along the beach too.
Team Young & Good Looking
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Thanks, Trootin. I did read JD's Facebook about his great start to the weekend. Sheesh. You guys killed 'em today.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Gonna give the kings a try this year too. Kato! I need some pointers!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Me too! When do we have a king fish goomba?
(Hobie fish Outfitter Tandem 08') Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

I went out yesterday evening. The water was calm, wind from the east, clear sky's, but the water was dirty as anything I've seen. I have not been out in a few months, maybe this is how the whole Summer has been?? I got 1 hit on a rattle trap, ... overall I got totally skunked. Oct-Mar, I'll be out as often as I can targeting sharks if anyone would like to get together.