must share

BBabcock

must share

Post by BBabcock »

Let me know your thoughts. My intent is to have the fly ride hook down and jig off the bottom. The slight blue additions are to give a fish the opportunity to mistake for a small blue crab as well as the creature shrimp/crustacean. I would imagine the next tie needs to have a weed guard.

Mullet Pattern.

This can get addictive. I think that this tying thing will get in the way of my fishing time.

Brian
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Nice looking flies.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
jayone91

Post by jayone91 »

Great looking flies! I especially like the mullet pattern.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Cool looking flies, like the blue and the copper flash in the first one.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Chief,

I originally tied the first fly without the blue. It is actually blue dyed buck tail. I do think it adds a bit of interesting contrast. I will get the chance to fish the new patterns next week and I will let all know how they perform.

Brian
Evan

Post by Evan »

Can't go wrong by adding some rubber legs, esp if you are trying to imitate crustaceans...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Evan,
Good idea. I will give it a go. I will post results.
Brian
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: must share

Post by ChrisR »

BBabcock wrote:My intent is to have the fly ride hook down and jig off the bottom.
Do you mean hook up? If you are going to be bouncing it off of the bottom in anything other than sand, I think it is a must to have it ride point up.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: must share

Post by Todd »

ChrisR wrote:
BBabcock wrote:My intent is to have the fly ride hook down and jig off the bottom.
Do you mean hook up? If you are going to be bouncing it off of the bottom in anything other than sand, I think it is a must to have it ride point up.
I was wondering the same thing. :?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Looking at the pics again, I am pretty sure that he meant hook up. The weights are tied to the bottom of the shank which will cause it to ride point up. (I think so anyways)
Evan

Post by Evan »

I've been experimenting with hook-point-up designs lately, and it turns out it's not quite as simple as putting the eyes on the backside of the shank. Most of the "bulk" of the material also needs to be opposite the eyes, tied to the underside of the shank. Unless the balance is just right, the hook will still ride hook-point-down (which is rather frustrating). Another solution is to use heavier eyes, but that has a negative affect on both casting and the action of the fly in the water. That's why, from now on, I'm tying all my Kwans and Toads with the material on the underside of the shank.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Interesting. I had considered the materials having a bearing, but didn't think it would make a big difference. I have tied toads and kwans both ways, and have found that both ride point up regardless of material. I suppose it could also have to do with hook sizes. I know that you tie with larger hooks than I typically do.
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

Evan wrote:I've been experimenting with hook-point-up designs lately, and it turns out it's not quite as simple as putting the eyes on the backside of the shank. Most of the "bulk" of the material also needs to be opposite the eyes, tied to the underside of the shank. Unless the balance is just right, the hook will still ride hook-point-down (which is rather frustrating). Another solution is to use heavier eyes, but that has a negative affect on both casting and the action of the fly in the water. That's why, from now on, I'm tying all my Kwans and Toads with the material on the underside of the shank.
you are a quick study Evan...I have read your post and you remind me of myself when I got going...you are on the right track...sorry, not hyjacking the thread...I also have noticed there are many factors to get the hook to ride inverted or not...DB eye placement is just part of it...hook style is really the secret...I also noticed that all flys shown have rather large wire...thin wire hooks are far superior in penetration if that is an issue...keep up the tying BBabcock...I like the blue color
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:...I like the blue color
I do too!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Thanks for the input. It is a hard balance to figure out. When tying flies I am learning that what looks good on the vise is not always what will look good under water.

I tend to want to use more material than needed. For example, my 6 year old son wanted to try his hand at the game and so I let him partipate in the basic wraps and then he directed me in the thread color, hook, tail, collar, eyes ect. His "simple" design will surely be effective. An old classic.