What type of Costas should I get?

saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Xyloxo is correct-o-mundo....

Obligatory youtuber video context http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yW669Br ... re=related

Even Mistah Kattah was hired on to perform the tests http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39QKERV ... re=related

Quentin Tarantino displayed proper use of the term "Pepsi Challenge" in his "Pulp Fiction" script when Lance and Vincent discuss the differences in various heroin options too.....would've provided a link to the scene, but this isn't the WOT forum 8)

If you must see the clip, I would suggest typing "Pulp Fiction - Lance & Vincent" into Youtube's search window :lol:

And to tie both Mistah Kattah and "Pulp Fiction" together, I suggest searching for the term "Pulp Fiction (Sweathog style)" as well 8)
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

I picked up a pair of Costa Blackfin 580 Green about three months ago and have to say I love the glassed but do have a few questions.

Are these thing a bitch to stay clean in everyday use or what? The exterior of the lense is no problem but when the interiors develop a simple smudge tissue will not do the job. A small price to pay.

I would be cautions of the models with the rubber edges. The model I purchased has a rubber edge that outlines the base of the frames. This is to reduce slip and improve comfort. After several months I have noticed areas where the rubber is "peeling" the outer layer. Not a big issue, I will just wait until the end of my waranty and return for service.

My intent is not to complain, I am happy with my purchase, just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same questions.

Brian
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

I switch b\w glasses and contacts.....never really noticed a difference in removing smudginess b\w my Costas or regular glasses...although I can be pretty OCD about cleaning them regularly with soap and warm water :D

http://www.costadelmar.com/SeeOutThere/CareRepair/

I had the rubber nose piece on my many years old 400 lens Costas replaced three times and was covered under lifetime warranty.....the third time they had redesigned the nose piece in the frame (Turbine) and gave me a whole new frame with the new nose piece design for free. I'd send them in to see if it's covered under the lifetime warranty......worst case you'll be charged for just the rubber replacement......they email you first with the total before making repairs.

I also crushed a pair (frame done in, lenses were fine, thank goodness)....I think total bill was $35 for the whole repair......my dealings with Costa's repair customer service was great.
Mark

gatordave

Post by gatordave »

On the flats at low angles the copper 580 with silver mirror are my choice. The copper lens has a light transfer of 12 % and the other come in at 10% wich means better lighting for low angle fishing from a kayak.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30911&st

Post by Norm »

A couple of things I have learned about my Costas...don't buy any frames that are the tortise shell...they tend to be weak in the bridge of the nose. It apparently something to do with the type of plastic used.
I have a pair of prescription (2x readers) in the 400 model. I have used the crap out of them, but was told Costa does not warranty the prescription models :? They have become my every day sunglasses for now because they are scratched up some from use. Have had to have the temple pieces replaced because the rubber covering deteriorated. That was covered.
My 580 work great, but I miss not having the 2x magnification at the bottoms. I understand there are some plastic inserts you can get that you wet and slide into place that will do the same thing. If anyone knows where I can get some of these, I would appreciate knowing.
always always carry a microfiber towel with you It won't scratch your lens and it comes in handy to wipe the lens on your camera as well.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Here ya go, Norm...
http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-Bif ... B000W7HQCQ
They have 'script strength options too in case you didn't see that on the Amazon page :D
Mark

Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I have a prescription pair of Costa Fathoms in the 400 series. I personally think they are heavy and no better optics than my Smith Optics. The Smiths are much more comfortable and lighter.

On the Smiths, I use the wet and stick on 2;5 magnifiers for seeing the close stuff like tying on flies. The only trouble with bifocals is wading. I busted my butt in NC on a stream because I was looking through the bifocal part of the lens and made a misstep.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Norm, I got some of those stick-on lenses at Walgreens.
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Snook712 wrote:I have a prescription pair of Costa Fathoms in the 400 series. I personally think they are heavy and no better optics than my Smith Optics. The Smiths are much more comfortable and lighter.

On the Smiths, I use the wet and stick on 2;5 magnifiers for seeing the close stuff like tying on flies. The only trouble with bifocals is wading. I busted my butt in NC on a stream because I was looking through the bifocal part of the lens and made a misstep.
If you like Smith then follow the link. Austin has them in the clearance bin.
http://www.austinkayak.com/outlet/outle ... ubcatID=25
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

MarkM wrote:Norm, I got some of those stick-on lenses at Walgreens.
Thanks Mark, but Saltwater Cowboy beat you to it. His link goes to Amazon...they are selling them for $7 and some change and with shipping is just over 12 dollars. Still way cheaper than I have found them locally. Seems they usually charge about 20 dollars per set.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Snook712 wrote:The only trouble with bifocals is wading. I busted my butt in NC on a stream because I was looking through the bifocal part of the lens and made a misstep.
I too have tried those stick ons and just could not get used to them. You have to learn to move your head instead of your eyes when you look down.

I'll stick with the layer look (reading glasses over sunglasses) when I need to tie knots.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I don't think I paid that much for mine, but I just looked and I guess I tossed them or I would have just given them to you. I had the same problem as Rik, I just couldn't get used to them. I just push my sunglasses down while I'm tying knots.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Rik wrote:
Snook712 wrote:The only trouble with bifocals is wading. I busted my butt in NC on a stream because I was looking through the bifocal part of the lens and made a misstep.
I too have tried those stick ons and just could not get used to them. You have to learn to move your head instead of your eyes when you look down.

I'll stick with the layer look (reading glasses over sunglasses) when I need to tie knots.
they look pretty large Rik...the stick-ons that is...and when I get my set, I will see if I can trim them down some. The last thing I want is something to obstruct my line of sight. My perscription Costas are great for that...the 2x magnifier part is only about a quater of an inch high.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

gatordave wrote:On the flats at low angles the copper 580 with silver mirror are my choice. The copper lens has a light transfer of 12 % and the other come in at 10% wich means better lighting for low angle fishing from a kayak.
This is great info for making decisions.. where do people come up with this kind of information ??
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

krash wrote:
gatordave wrote:On the flats at low angles the copper 580 with silver mirror are my choice. The copper lens has a light transfer of 12 % and the other come in at 10% wich means better lighting for low angle fishing from a kayak.
This is great info for making decisions.. where do people come up with this kind of information ??
A friend of mine is a Costa dealer and he has all the specs available. Thats how I made my decision. 2% don't sound like much but it's 20% of the total light that passes thru.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Rik wrote:...I'll stick with the layer look (reading glasses over sunglasses) when I need to tie knots.
And I thought I was the only fool out there doing that. Nice to know. :lol:
(not insinuating you're a fool, just foolish looking, like I feel doing that.) :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -