Malibu Sierra 10

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Malibu Sierra 10

Post by Paul »

Rik wrote: If you are a sponsored angler, an employee of the manufacturer, a sales person or in any other way connected with the manufacturer - or it's competitors - we expect that you will note that in your post.

My Wife and I own Masthead Enterprises we sell Malibu Kayaks

I got a chance to paddle the New Malibu Sierra 10. This is Malibu’s first sit in side kayak.
This is a Recreational or what the industry calls a Rec Boat (or Rec Kayak). The Longer, narrower kayaks with smaller cockpits are called touring kayaks

Here in Sunny Florida the Sit on top is a strong seller for fishing, but around the rest of the country the sit in side kayak is quite popular.

Specifications
Length = 10’
Beam or Width 31”
Weight 45 lbs
Deck height 15 ¼”
Max Capacity 325 lbs
Cockpit length 51 ½” and width 23 ½”
Cost $549.00

Features
Comfortable apex 1 seat built in
Extra Large cockpit with various mounting areas for rod holders, electronics,,,etc.
Rear tank well
Two rear flush mount rod holders
Paddle holder

The first thing that I noticed about this kayak is that it has a rear tank well. This is clearly a breakthrough concept for the sit in side kayaks. I bet the rear tank well will become an industry standard over time.

The kayak is wider and also a bit heavier than other 9-10’ sit in side kayaks. The extra Beam (width) makes the Sierra stable and very comfortable to move around in. For example I’m able to stand up and fish out the kayak, try that in another 10’ sit in side. The extra beam and tank well does require more plastic, which means a few extra pounds of weight. This kayak weighs 45 lbs, which is just about 3-5 more pounds than other 10 footers.

The seat is a COD Apex 1 seat; this seat is used on Sit on tops and is considered one of the most plush and comfortable seats on the market. This seat comes standard with the Sierra 10 it retails for $129.95 if purchased separately. The seat is fasten into the kayak and folds down for storage or road travel. It is also easily removable.

I usually test paddle kayaks at home, which means I have to launch off the dock. With a sit in side kayak this is always a bit more of a challenge. But with the Sierra 10’s extra large cockpit and stability makes it very easy to enter the kayak off a ladder.
The Sierra 10 has great Initial Stability, which means it feels stable which you are seating in the kayak. It also has good Secondary Stability; the chine in hull shape increases secondary stability by effectively widening the beam of the boat when it is heeled (tipped). Secondary stability refers to final stability, or additional resistance to capsizing as a kayak approaches capsizing.

Paddling – I’m 6’1” 185 lbs The Sierra 10 was effortless to paddle and it tracks well for a 10’ kayak. You can’t compare the tracking, maneuvering and speed of a 10’ vs. a 15’ kayak. Compared to 10’ sit on tops the Sierra 10 is faster, more stable and has equal storage. At my size I felt comfortable. I was able to lock my knees under the deck; this allowed me to be able to turn the kayak by leaning my body the direction I wanted the kayak to go. This is a common practice in sit in side kayaks.

Fishing – The rear tank well, built in flush mount rod holders and large cockpit make this kayak ready for fishing. With the extra stability I was able to stand up a cast with ease. You can also reach around to the rear tank well to get gear without making the kayak fell tippy. I felt comfortable and at ease in the kayak. For my personal taste, for fishing I would add a Scotty rod holder to the front of the cockpit and an anchor trolley, so I could use a stakeout pole for flats fishing

Last edited by Paul on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Rik

Re: Malibu Sierra 10

Post by Rik »

If those helpers come with it, you got a deal!

I've always thought there should be some sort of sub category for that type of sit inside. Most people, when you say sit inside, think of a touring type design with a 30 inch cockpit that you have to wiggle into and your legs are trapped inside. That design, like some of the other brands, is almost a high sided sit on top.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
screwballl

Post by screwballl »

very nice.. that is what I was looking for when I was searching for a canoe/kayak... although with my height and weight (6'5" 220lbs) I think that yak may not be as stable for me which is why I was looking in the 12-14' range. I think this type of hybrid is more of a "yakanoe"...

wow 45 lbs? My canoe comes in well over twice that, somewhere around 110-120 lbs would be my guess...
Matthew 4:19
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

screwballl wrote:...My canoe comes in well over twice that, somewhere around 110-120 lbs would be my guess...
:shaking: WTF! Is it a tree dugout? :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
screwballl

Post by screwballl »

teamshaft3 wrote:
screwballl wrote:...My canoe comes in well over twice that, somewhere around 110-120 lbs would be my guess...
:shaking: WTF! Is it a tree dugout? :shock:
:lol: nope just a normal 14' fiberglass canoe with thick aluminum support.
Matthew 4:19