Penn Slammers

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Penn Slammers

Post by ChrisR »

Is it possible to distinguish the American made Slammers from the foreign made ones? I am thinking of picking up a couple of 260's. Is there a difference as far as quality, performance, and durability between the two?
mudfish

Re: Penn Slammers

Post by mudfish »

Not sure about the Slammers but my Penn SSG's have "Made in U.S.A." on the label.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Those made in the US have USA on the bearing cover on the side of the reel and the underside of the reel seat. There is no difference other than that. The parts are all the same. I have 4 of them and aside from my ultralight, I use 260's exclusively on the flats. I use a 460 for my tarpon/king set up.
I was pretty pissed when they outsourced to China. A shame but, these are great reels. Very durable and easy to work on.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
TK

Post by TK »

A bunch of charter captains down this way use them, so they have to be ok. I bought one once, and it didn't last long. Must have got one made on a Monday, because everyone else says good things about them.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Haven’t tried the Slammers but have used the graphite Spinfishers for years, had one of the old ones over 25 years before it finally wore out. Suzie recently got a Sargus to replace the old Spinfisher, seems like a nice reel but hasn’t had a lot of use yet. We did try a Captiva which was smooth out of the box but didn’t hold up even a whole season.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

The Penn's are one of the few strong and dependable reels on the market. If you'll service them now and again they'll last a long, long time.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks guys.