1st Custom rod.

BrianW

1st Custom rod.

Post by BrianW »

I picked up my first custom rod from Bill Hobbs the other day and I'm not sure I will be able to go back to store bought rods ever again. I broke it in very nicely with a red and a few trout on top-water at CRB.

7' Lamiglas Med Power/Fast Action split grip paired up with a Team Daiwa Advantage 2500..sweet.

Last edited by BrianW on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: 1st Custom rod.

Post by Todd »

He spelled stick wrong :lol:

Very nice looking rod. What, if you don't mind me asking, was the cost?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

BrianW wrote:I broke it very nicely with a red and a few trout on top-water at CRB.
Should be a warranty to take care of that :wink: :D

Nice rod, I feel the same way about the fly rod Noles built for me.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Chief1600 wrote:
BrianW wrote:I broke it very nicely with a red and a few trout on top-water at CRB.
Should be a warranty to take care of that :wink: :D
oops.. :shock:
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I have a question to all you rod builders after seeing this rod. Is there a set location on a rod blank that a reel must be seated at? So many rods have long butt sections and I am forever on the hunt for less of the rod behind the reel. Seems like if you have a 7' blank and the reel is set 18" from the end you really have a 51/2' rod.
Credo quia absurdum
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

justabucup wrote:I have a question to all you rod builders after seeing this rod. Is there a set location on a rod blank that a reel must be seated at? So many rods have long butt sections and I am forever on the hunt for less of the rod behind the reel. Seems like if you have a 7' blank and the reel is set 18" from the end you really have a 51/2' rod.
Ok, this is what I did. I told the builder all of the specs that I was looking for, he brought me the blank and I held it against my forearm and basically showed him exactly where I wanted the reel seat. He took this and gave me exactly what I wanted. Turned out to be the perfectly balanced and just what I was looking for all the way around. I personally can't stand a long butt, It seems a shorter butt is much more comfortable and I find it much easier to work lures especially from the seated position of my kayak. :thumbright:
noles

Post by noles »

justabucup wrote:I have a question to all you rod builders after seeing this rod. Is there a set location on a rod blank that a reel must be seated at? So many rods have long butt sections and I am forever on the hunt for less of the rod behind the reel. Seems like if you have a 7' blank and the reel is set 18" from the end you really have a 51/2' rod.
The answer is no, you can put the reel seat anywhere on the blank. Closer to the butt section, shorter your rear grip and vice versa.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

I prefer "shorter" grips, but I always pay attention to overall balance. My goal is to keep the weight evenly distributed ... that wouldn't be possible if the reel seat were moved too far toward the rear of the rod. Like everything else in life, moderation is the key.

TJ -
islander

Post by islander »

Cool!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Todd wrote:He spelled stick wrong :lol:

Very nice looking rod. What, if you don't mind me asking, was the cost?
?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.