Help on fish finder

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
redfishslayer69

Help on fish finder

Post by redfishslayer69 »

I just installed a fish finder on my kayak and it wont read anything, it just comes up 0.0 depth. I put the transducer inside the yak. I sanded the bottom, used clear silicone, heated the silicone to get the air out and push the transducer down to the bottom and nothing?? :scratch:
skinnywater

Re: Help on fish finder

Post by skinnywater »

That sounds like it should have worked. I would check the wiring to make sure its getting a signal. I mounted mine in marine Goop.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

I used Marine Goop as well. Sounds like it's right, but would check the wiring for sure.
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it.
—Clarence Darrow
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Take the transducer out and hang it over the side of the boat to see if it gets a reading. If so, consider mounting it outside. I mounted mine on the stern. If it's a Humminbird, the have a transducer that mounts in the scupper hole. There are also brackets that you can buy/make that hang over the side of the boat so nothing is permanently mounted.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I used to work in Engineering at the Teleflex gauge plant in Sarasota. We made a depth gauge with an option of mounting the transducer inside. The kit included epoxy to bed the transducer face into. A lot of silicones are too soft and absorb the signal so we recommended against it in our installation instructions. The beam angle and frequency of your fish finder can also affect the performance. That said, it could very well be an electrical/wiring issue.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
DawnPatrol234

Post by DawnPatrol234 »

CooKnFish wrote:Take the transducer out and hang it over the side of the boat to see if it gets a reading. If so, consider mounting it outside. I mounted mine on the stern. If it's a Humminbird, the have a transducer that mounts in the scupper hole. There are also brackets that you can buy/make that hang over the side of the boat so nothing is permanently mounted.

The HumminBird XTH-9-20-P thru-hull transducer is designed for the transducer ready scupper hole on Ocean Kayaks- Big Game, PeekaBoo, Prowler 13 & Tridents 11/13/15.If it were to be used on another brand, the transducer head would hang below the hull, unprotected. On the above listed Ocean Kayak's, there is an indent that positions the transducer head flush with the hull. :thumbleft:

Ocean Kayak PRO STAFF ~ TEAM SouthRiverOutfitters ~ Dunkin-Lewis PRO STAFF ~ Johnson Outdoors
redfishslayer69

sweet thanks for the help. This will work great cause i just won a prowler 13 yesterday at the DOA tournament. I see you have a prowler do you like it?
DawnPatrol234

Post by DawnPatrol234 »

Congrats on the new kayak!! :thumbright:
I saw all the boats still in the wrappers on McBrides trailer, couldn't tell which boats they were (except for the 2 OK Capers), did you win a Trident or the Classic Prowler 13??
I have the Prowler 13 non-angler and am very happy with it. I also have a Kaskazk Dorado II which is the "shitz" but I just got on OK/Dunkin-Lewis Pro Staff so I'll use the Prowler most of the time. It's a great boat- stable, quick and offers different mounting options for rigging.
What are you using now?
I live in Jensen Beach, if you want to meet up to fish give me a shout at [email protected]

Ocean Kayak PRO STAFF ~ TEAM SouthRiverOutfitters ~ Dunkin-Lewis PRO STAFF ~ Johnson Outdoors
redfishslayer69

Its the prowler 13 angler and before i had a tandem Hobie that i made a leaning post with out riggers. it was really stable and i could stand up and walk to to nose with no problem, it worked great and i plan on makin another one for this. It would be cool to meat up, I would love to see your sick kayak. I think I'm goin to go out on Tuesday morning. Probably around the Sailfish Flats That's were i fished for the tournament and i got broke off by some slobs well over 30 in. Let me know if you game, Ill be there early.
DawnPatrol234

Post by DawnPatrol234 »

On duty Tuesday, but on "Kelly" after that so maybe later in the week. :thumbleft:
Check your PM's.......................