Fenwick Grip

dunfly

Fenwick Grip

Post by dunfly »

A while back I became intrigued by the old Fenwick Grip design, which seems to have fallen out of favor. I decided to try it on a Tiger Eye 7'6" - 3/4 wt rod built as a gift to my brother in law. The first problem was pattern. It is not just a reverse half wells put on backwards, but a subtly different grip. Thanks to a sample provided by Brian (Rovercat), I was able to get the form right. The next problem was the reel seat. The rear of the cork is too narrow for a recessed seat or a typical flush mount. The solution to this problem was privided by Steve (Steeldrifter - Midwest Custom Fly Rods). While he used a BUL5, I decided to use the same technique on a UL3 since I wanted to use a gold color.

While I had to overcome some very bad cork rings, here's the results.

The grip feels very good in the hand and I like the classic look. It is ashamed it has fallen out of favor.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Chief1600

Re: Fenwick Grip

Post by Chief1600 »

Very nice, has such a "classic" look to it.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
islander

Post by islander »

Purty!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Nice ... very nice rod.

However (IMNSHO) you have the wrong reel on it. :?

That silver and black reel clashes with that gold and brown rod as bad as a paisley shirt worn with plaid pants. Again, nice rod, just my opinion on that combo.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Actually the reel is a gold Elkhorn Classic. It just has a silver handle. It's not the reel that is going to go with the rod. I have a bought a gold Orvis Mid Arbor on sale to go with it. I just didn't have it when I took the pictures.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

dunfly wrote: I have a bought a gold Orvis Mid Arbor on sale to go with it. I just didn't have it when I took the pictures.
Good on ya Bob. I thought I knew you better than that! HA!! Post the pics of the gold Orvis once you put it on that rod.

Again, nice work. One day (sure Gil ... surrrrrre) I'll build a rod .... one day. :roll: :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey