Howde

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
bigguy

Howde

Post by bigguy »

Hi. Im new. Been wanting to get into kayaking for about 2 years now, just started to borrow my step-dads kayak and trying it out. I am really enjoying it. so i think i will be buying my own soon, just trying to figure out witch one to get. I have been using a Prowler 13 and like it, wish it was a little bit wider, im a big guy, 6'12" and about 300lbs, and it feels a little tippy to me.

Im also just getting back into fishing. use to fish a lot then my rod broke one day and i just never got a new one. that was abotu5 years ago. but my son just turned 1 and i would like to be able to take him once he is able to in a year or so so i figured it was time to start up again.
Offlander

Re: Howde

Post by Offlander »

I'm new at Fishing from A Kayak also!!!! Great Members with lots of Knowledge to help you in your Quest. :D :kayak:

Alan
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Thanks for the welcome.

I forgot to mention i am in St. Pete, and enjoy fishing the flats
Rik

Post by Rik »

bigguy wrote: I'm a big guy, 6'12"
Isn't 6' 12" really 7'?

If you are looking for a boat you can use yourself and occasionally take your son out with you, you may want to look at the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, the Wilderness Sytems Commander 14 or the many various canoes out there. They will all handle the weight.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Rik wrote:
bigguy wrote: I'm a big guy, 6'12"
Isn't 6' 12" really 7'?

If you are looking for a boat you can use yourself and occasionally take your son out with you, you may want to look at the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, the Wilderness Sytems Commander 14 or the many various canoes out there. They will all handle the weight.

In conventional wisdom, yes it equals 7", but i dont like to be " conventional" and i hate the sound of 7".

I have looked at the Native's and like them, but i hear they dont do well in rough water or open sea. For now i manly plan to do inshore, but i could see my self maybe making trips out in to the gulf, and i dont want to limit my self due to the boat i have. I was thinking a Malibu with he gator hatch would be a good solution.
BiGDiLL

Post by BiGDiLL »

Natives are great boats and I personally think they do well in open water. I've had mine in the gulf a couple of times and the it got a little choppy but it tracted well and it felt safe. I would recommend the 14.5 native.