Need some help/advice - heading to Eilliot Key on 11/6-11/8

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Need some help/advice - heading to Eilliot Key on 11/6-11/8

Post by jbdba01 »

I'm not quite sure that this thread fits in here, but I'll post it and see what happens.

The trip is a "green" trip in the sense that the 28 ft "mother ship" is a solar powered boat. Details of the boat are at :

http://www.cleantechtutor.com/Project-ViVe.php

We plan on spending a couple nights there and it's been over 20 years since I've been to Elliot Key. I'm hoping that someone can point me to a site/resource that can assist with what's biting (hopefully not the bugs) and possibly where we can dock/anchor.

It's kinda a unique trip in that we may spring to the Atlantic if the weather cooperates, or use the kayak and or zodiac for flats fishing. Frankly we're all over the map on what to do and I'm trying to zone in on what would be best. I've no clue what's biting now.

We're even looking at renting a second kayak.

Any advice is appreciated.

JB
JB
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Need some help/advice - heading to Eilliot Key on 11/6-1

Post by ChrisR »

Cool boat. :thumbright:
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Yeah...he's a ramblin' wreck from GA Tech. I'm a Bulldog. He came down the ICW 1200 miles in it from Philly to Boca. I was lucky enough to catch a ride from Jax to Vero Beach.

We both grew up in Miami in the 70's/80's and have managed to get back to FL.

We both have a somewhat contorted way of doing things. Sample (get a load of the "Captain's Quarter's" down a bit):

http://johnbishop.shutterfly.com/042010-johnspass

That said I found some decent stuff to work with for the Elliot overnight, but have no clue what is biting (much less what to use). I'm coming from Tampa and I'm used to netting up bait - from what I can tell you don't do that in Biscayne Bay. Found some stuff on cyberangler, but it feels more like guide service info than - this is what you can target and here's what to use.

JB
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Looks like I'll be taking my canoe down. So if you see a solar powered boat towing a yellow canoe that's us.

We'll be hitting the Stiltsville area. Not quite sure what to target I'm thinking using some tube lures just so we can have some fun catching some 'cuda. If anyone has any recommendations let me know. We'll be moored at Dinner Key.

Is it worth targeting some of the bridges at night - we can leave the canoe behind? If so using what?

JB
JB