Double Branch

Flamingo to Big Bend
zier20

Double Branch

Post by zier20 »

Headed down to DB today to try it out since it was near my house. New to kayak and saltwater fishing (Red/Snook/Trout). Loading from the dock sucked but I managed. Weather was ok in the beginning and then rained constant (9am-3pm). Several small topwater hits early in AM but nothing took. Later about 12-1 pm (still light rain) saw alot of bait fish being blown up near marker 9. Cant tell yet between reds and mullet. Worked that mangrove section near a deep hole majority of the time. Caught a 26 inch Red on Mirrordine and minutes later 36 inch snook. At least 4-5 jumps from the snook. It was cool as hell. New to saltwater and this was my first red n snook. Screw bass fishing. Totally different fight and worth it. I couldnt stop smiling. I also Snagged a mullet which ended up in a tree.........dont ask...Got another hit from a red, fought it for a bit but couldnt land it. Had a blast and will try that place again.

Sad part is my iphone is fryed . Had to try to take pics in the rain and got the phone wet....its now smoking........oh well. If I can get the phone to work Ill post pics up....good times.
islander

Re: Double Branch

Post by islander »

Sorry, but I gotta know about the mullet that ended up in the trees...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
zier20

Post by zier20 »

Phone is dead ($280 mistake).....as for mullet..........snagged it by accident, it ran under some mangroves, line got pull over and under some limbs, decided to pull fish over limbs and that did not work so well. Mullet was about two feet in air stuck in the mangrove. Paddled over and got fish and lure out. At least I saved the lure.....good but expensive day...........
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Sounds like a hell of a day. Good job and thanks for the report.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Big bummer on the iPhone, good thing your caught some quality fish! WTG
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

Sounds like a great day! I don't know how bad your phone got but I have had some success leaving mine in a bowl of rice over night when the rain has gotten to it. Also, you may want to look into some of the iPhone repair sites online, a lot can handle water damage for as little as 99 bucks, better than a straight up replacement! But awesome fish and
great post!
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Snook Red and mullet. That has to be some kind of slam? Nice job.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Tis the season... :wink:
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

I would gladly kill my phone for a 36in snook. Great day man ur getting spoiled already.
click clack BOOM
zier20

Post by zier20 »

How do you tell the difference between the mullet and red fish tailing. Also Besides structure, water depth what should I be looking for when fishing for reds? (IE mullets feeding or school ect). Thanks.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

zier20 wrote:How do you tell the difference between the mullet and red fish tailing.
Look for the infamous black spot on the tail.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

My observation is that typically mullet move around a lot more than reds. If there is a lot of movement then it is probably mullet. However, a red will sometimes hang with mullet because the mullet will scare up food for the red. Often times reds just sit still and I can't count the number of times I have paddled right up on one tht took off before I ever saw him.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

zier20 wrote:How do you tell the difference between the mullet and red fish tailing. Also Besides structure, water depth what should I be looking for when fishing for reds? (IE mullets feeding or school ect). Thanks.
Shape and color of the tail. Mullet tails are pointed, red tails are rounder. Mullet tails are gray, reds tails are, well, red.

Once you see a few you can tell the difference. A tailing red does not swim and move around a lot like a mullet, a tailing red will stay up and not move around a lot.

2' of water and fish the mullet schools, sure sign of redfish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM