Quick trip after work 11/08

Flamingo to Big Bend
Pmoconnor89

Quick trip after work 11/08

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

Got off duty this morning and still had the kayak loaded from the calusa tournament. Figured I would try to brave the wind and I was really looking forward to using the new paddle I won. First spot I got to, dry land. Would have had to paddle about an extra mile or drag the kayak a quarter mile through mud to get to where I wanted to be, so scratch that. Started driving down the road with no real direction, and picked a creek spot I've been wanting to try for a long while now, paddled it probably 5 years ago on a tour and haven't managed to get around to trying to fish it until now. It was tough to find water deep enough to hold fish on such a low, wind-aided tide. Finally found a deeper channel and started casting into it, and oddly enough was excited when I got pinfish hits on the soft plastic, because I knew at least something was around. Hadn't seen any bait or signs of life for about the first half hour.

Paddled up another 20 yards or so and found a 15-20 foot wide channel between the shoreline and a mangrove point that had some oysters and good looking waterflow. I figured with that much water flowing it had to be holding something and I was right. First cast yielded a 15 inch red, and I stayed right there and managed to pull out ten reds to 19 inches and one 14 inch snooklet over the next half hour or so.

Once the tide shifted and water started coming into the creek it shut off completely. Not to bad for the first time fishing a new spot, and it was nice fishing a creek out of the wind that we all battled over the weekend.