Gasparilla Sound

Flamingo to Big Bend
Pmoconnor89

Gasparilla Sound

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

I've been catching a lot of snook lately. Granted most are only 10-16 inches, but any snook this year is a good snook. Its nice to see them healthy and eating.

Yesterday I found the last snook on the beach. He ate a doa shrimp around some submerged structure. He was probably 18 inches or so, and I let him know it was November and he should go find some warmer water, as even my toes were freezing in the surf.

Later in the day, I had a unique experience paddling some mangrove tunnels with my better half. We paddled the trails in Charlotte county by the Gasparilla Marina, accessible via grande tours. On our way through the tunnels, most of which hold 8-20 inches of water, we stumbled upon a hole that had between 4-5 feet of depth to it. This hole was probably no more than 10 by 15 feet around. What was unique about it is this whole was LOADED with snook fry. I'm talking probably 150~ fish, and thats a low estimate. They were all about 3-5 inches and I'd imagine were hatched this year. From my point of view thats a great sign that all is not lost on the snook front.

Today was another snooky day, I found more snook hanging in some mangroves, also in the Gasparilla sound area of Charlotte harbor. I started out with a pair of 16 inch fish by bouncing a soft plastic on an 1/8th ounce head by mangrove points with water flowing by them. I then decided to fish a shoreline I've never fished before. I was really excited to see the shadows of some pretty sizeable... snook!

Hole jumpers please note the Sunshine Skyway and Kennedy Space Center in the background, thats precisely the shore line I was fishing. This 24 inch fish was the only one dumb enough to eat a plastic shrimp. I wouldn't say I sightfished him on account of I didn't see him and then cast to him, but I did cast and then watch his shadow emerge out of a bait ball and annihilate my DOA.

I had many follows from bigger shadows, but hey, they dont get that big eating plastic shrimp. I saw some snook that had a shot at being slot fish, but definitely nothing over 30. Still nice to see some sizeable snook though.

Also comixed with these snook were a lot of clone trout, everyone of them I caught was 16 inches. Too bad I couldn't find a 16 inch red to get the 16 inch trifecta slam. I think I managed about a half dozen snook, a half dozen trout, one mini trout that may have been smaller than my lure, and a poor mans tarpon that gave me some of that awesome tail walking ladyfish action before he spit my soft plastic back at me.

Get out there and enjoy the fall, the fishing has been great!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Gasparilla Sound

Post by DaveR »

Great report. thanks!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Pmoconnor89 wrote: This hole was probably no more than 10 by 15 feet around. What was unique about it is this whole was LOADED with snook fry. I'm talking probably 150~ fish, and that's a low estimate.
The only time I've seen that is down in the Bull Bay area. It's pretty incredible. First you see them minnows and start looking for a big snook waiting to ambush them. Then you realize the minnows ARE snook.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Thanks for the great report and showing off your photoshop skills. Last year I was out on a friends boat and I threw a cast net and thought I captured some green backs and low and behold, they were baby snook. It was sure great to see some signs of life after the wicked winter we had last year.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Great report. Thanks. :thumbright:
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

Cool report, great to hear about all of the Snooklets! :cool: The Skyway looks a little "iffy" since it was struck by the Shuttle. :shock: Guess I'll have to start taking the long way around. :lol:
Russ

Post by 0119 »

I remember fishing that very spot before the "Lighthouse" and condos were around! How do you like the Stradic CI4? Im having trouble keeping the foam grip on the handle :x .