Bendback

Wuluf

Bendback

Post by Wuluf »

Anyone get any results with a bend back?
Wuluf
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Bendback

Post by BearsFan »

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

.....and there you have it! Thanks for the feedback and nice fish!
Wuluf
Evan

Post by Evan »

The real beauty of the bendback is how it can slip into even the densest grass without snagging or fouling. Remember that most people bend the hook too much at first - just a slight tweaking is all you need.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

I tied a couple last night. I am heading to Charleston, SC for Thanskgiving and I was looking for something that is inherently weedless. This will do the trick. Thanks!
Wuluf
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

Evan
Mind showing the Perfect bend back with a photo? :D :D :D :D
I am new to tying.
Evan wrote:The real beauty of the bendback is how it can slip into even the densest grass without snagging or fouling. Remember that most people bend the hook too much at first - just a slight tweaking is all you need.
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Wuluf wrote:I tied a couple last night. I am heading to Charleston, SC for Thanskgiving and I was looking for something that is inherently weedless. This will do the trick. Thanks!
Charleston = gold mylar

crabs and clousers. All gold mylar with red thread.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

I will have to pick up some gold mylar today. I tied 4 crabs and plan to take a few more. I also tied a Copperhead, but it wasn't that great since I didn't have good reference. I heard the Copperhead is lights out for Charleston. I may just buy a few on the trip from the airport.
Wuluf
Evan

Post by Evan »

@ Offlander

Here is a link to the Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers website, which contains excellent step-by-step instructions (including the hook bending part) with detailed photos. Scroll down to second half of page under "Previous Fly of the Month" http://mangrovecoastflyfishers.com/flytyings.php
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

Thanks, evan the URL was a leviathan of help. :thumbleft: :sunny: :thumbright: :salute:
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

I'm tying a few of these myself, and in reading there are several folks who don't like bendbacks because when bending the hook, they say it directs the eye of the hook in a different direction than the point, and that they see fewer hooks-ups.

The solutions are (a) bend the hook as little as possible, (b) use a kahle-style hook and bend it (now hook point and eye are on same plane), (c) use a jig/keel hook or (d) do a double-bend, where you bend the eye of the hook back on plane after making the inital bend.

See this video on the double-bend technique: http://dailyflytyer.com/2010/11/bend-ba ... l-simpson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AP
Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......