Trout have turned on

clwpaddler

Trout have turned on

Post by clwpaddler »

Fished the Clam Bar this morning with the Suncoast Fly Fishers. Launched off the Skyway approach and paddled to the Clam Bar, which was high and dry with the full moon low tide. Fished both sides where the water drops off to 5 or 6 feet. Two small trout and the ever present Lizard Fish. Huge Mullet but no reds. Headed to the Misner Bridge looking for something in the tide wash, but nothing doing. Headed back to the put in and stopped about halfway between the Clam Bar and the put in at a pothole and there they were. If the cast was off by a couple of feet no success but if it was in the zone it was Trout on. All but two trout were caught on a Chartreuse and White clouser tied on a #4 fishing a sinking tip 8 weight.

Tight Lines

Woody
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Trout have turned on

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Yep .... most fish turn on when it's closed season. ha! That's OK, I've just whipped up a batch of mullet spread and two smoked mullet left over. One for supper in a bit and one for breakfast in the morning. :wink:

Thanks for that report.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
clwpaddler

Post by clwpaddler »

Gils, that mullet spread sounds great. Let me tell you there were some huge mullet in huge schools out there. If you were hit by one of them flying mullet you would have to be flown to Bayfront.
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

clwpaddler wrote:Gils, that mullet spread sounds great. Let me tell you there were some huge mullet in huge schools out there. If you were hit by one of them flying mullet you would have to be flown to Bayfront.
I've never seen sooooo many and such big mullet jumping all over Weedon Island a couple weeks ago. TONS of 'em. You would literally see 15 - 25 out of the water at the same time while out on the more open waters of the kayak/canoe trail.

As luck would have it, it was a great paddling day but it wasn't much of a fishing day with the wife and two cuzzinz "in tow". Had no cast net nor "Laying Mash" to bring dem mullets around to hook them up.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey