Leader question

clwpaddler

Re: Leader question

Post by clwpaddler »

I make my own furled leaders after watching a how-to on YouTube. Start with 20lb flouro about 25' worth. When finished you have a butt section with four strands, and then a section with 2 strands. Both ends will have loops. Attach your tippet on the two strand end and you have a leader which will turnover any fly and stop the kick at the end of your cast, especially if using a sinking tip. A little work for a very supple, strong leader and it doesn't take any jigs to tie.
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

The butt section is half the entire length of the leader 40 lb. test (I use 12 ft. leader, so in this case 6ft. Of 40lb.).
-Half the length of the butt section 30lb. (3 feet).
-Half the length if section 2, 20 lb. (1.5 feet).
-Tippet.
And then you tye on a 20 # tippet ? why not just add a longer last section ?

I'm asking because I really dont know :scratch:
0 0 1
islander

Post by islander »

shamus wrote:
The butt section is half the entire length of the leader 40 lb. test (I use 12 ft. leader, so in this case 6ft. Of 40lb.).
-Half the length of the butt section 30lb. (3 feet).
-Half the length if section 2, 20 lb. (1.5 feet).
-Tippet.
And then you tye on a 20 # tippet why not just add a longer last section

I'm asking because I really dont know :scratch:
I use 15# for tippet.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I usually tie either a three or four section leader. First, I have a whipped loop in the end of the fly-line. I then loop on a 3.5' piece of 30lb Mason Hard mono. To that, I connect a 1.5' piece of 20lb Mason Hard mono with a double surgeon's. I tie a perfection loop in the end of the 20lb Mason. This makes up my butt section and really only needs to be changed a couple times a year (if that). For up here in the Big Bend, I usually just loop on a straight 2.5-4' piece of 25lb Trilene Big Game to the fly (perfection loop in the top end). Length depends on the bulk and weight of the fly. IMO, fluorocarbon is a waste of money up here. If I'm somewhere the fish are spookier, or fishing for snook and small tarpon, I'll loop on a 1.5' piece of 25lb Big Game and then go to a 2.5' section of 30lb fluorocarbon as my bite tippet. This rig turns over very well and has served me well for years. I rig like this on my 5, 6, 7, and 8wt rods.