Quantum Energy PTs Spinning

trevorb

Quantum Energy PTs Spinning

Post by trevorb »

Dick's in Bradenton had a "doorbuster" deal for these reels for $79, usually $200. Anyone have experience with them?
Last edited by trevorb on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TampaJim

Re: Quantum Energy PTs

Post by TampaJim »

They are heavier than the competitors and they have some issues with the bail assembly and anti-reverse. However, the customer service is fairly decent (not as good as Shimano, however) if you have an issue. At that price, it would be hard to go wrong - you should get 3 years of good service with a bit of TLC.
trevorb

Post by trevorb »

thanks Jim
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

TampaJim wrote:They are heavier than the competitors and they have some issues with the bail assembly and anti-reverse. However, the customer service is fairly decent (not as good as Shimano, however) if you have an issue. At that price, it would be hard to go wrong - you should get 3 years of good service with a bit of TLC.
You never know, I have had several Quantam reels and only had one issue and it was handled with no problem. That is a great price for the reel.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

TampaJim wrote:They are heavier than the competitors and they have some issues with the bail assembly and anti-reverse.
I have several Quantums (Cabo and Boca). The only problem I've had is the "C washer" (that isn't the right name) that snaps onto a post at the end of the bail popped off. Simple fix but it did put it out of commission for the day as I couldn't find it.

That and dropping one from about 6 feet onto concrete. One of the bail fittings didn't like that at all. Can't blame it, I don't like being dropped onto concrete either.

I've found them to be pretty darn sturdy reels. I dunked one Cabo, actually found it sitting in the water at a sandbar while attending a committee meeting, and 3 years later it still hasn't been opened up or serviced other that a mist down after use.

Yes, they are heavier and I wish now that I had more of the 2000 size than the 4000 size.

Now, Jim, what are those bail and anti-reverse issues? I haven't had any but if it is something I can be aware of and maybe prevent, I'd love to know.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
trevorb

Re: Quantum Energy PTs Spinning

Post by trevorb »

The Cabo is awesome, but I can't even find an online review for this reel
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Rik has found the answer to the antirevers problem. Just soak youe reel in saltwater for several hours and the problem is cured- Like a country Ham !
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You're a funny F'er bill.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

trevorb wrote:The Cabo is awesome, but I can't even find an online review for this reel
Be careful of online reviews, some are disguised as reviews but are actually paid advertisements.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

Rik wrote:Now, Jim, what are those bail and anti-reverse issues? I haven't had any but if it is something I can be aware of and maybe prevent, I'd love to know.
The bail assembly screw can back out, check it before heading out each trip. Some of the reels will develop a tendency to close on their own and there are issues with the bail roller catching braided line occasionally (Okumas do this too).

The known problems with the anti-reverse are essentially the overall design of the system. When it works, it is smooth as glass. When it fails, it is catastrophic. The housing for the bearing is problematic in design and over/under application of "Hot Sauce" will cause the ARB to slip/stick. The former sends it to the factory, the latter requires a good cleaning by a technician OR a patient owner.

Again, it would be hard to go wrong at $79 if one likes the reel.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

As someone who admittedly does not take the best care of his reels, I can say the Quantum reels will definitely take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I guess the weight is the price you pay for that toughness.
You will pay the price after a long day of working lures.