Matlacha!

the_tall_man

Matlacha!

Post by the_tall_man »

Guys,

Al at Economy tackle recommended I try out Matlacha. Apparently it's good this time of year and is a great kayak spot. It's only about 70 miles from my location in S. Sarasota - easy! I've done some searching and it looks like you can just get a map of the Calusa Blueway Kayak trail and just fish along it. Have any of you fished down there, and if so, got any parking/launch/winter fishing spots/tackle tips?

I'm very interested in seeing more of SW florida because it's the land of EJ Watson. "Shadow Country" is my all-time favorite book!
http://www.netstreamshifter.com/2010/02 ... essen.html
Highly recommended if you haven't already read it.
shallow pockets

Re: Matlacha!

Post by shallow pockets »

I am interested in doing a trip down there. When you looking to go?
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Rik

Post by Rik »

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 48&t=32119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Awesome info page! That helps alot. I was thinking of going down Sunday.
shallow pockets

Cant do Sunday.Taking a buddy Snook fishing.Thinking mid December. I have never fished that area before.looking forward to your report if you head down that way.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I used to fish it often. Not so much where Chrystal posted about but some other areas. Buzzard Bay is a great place to spend a day or two. You indeed have to bug my friend!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

I did make it out to Matlacha on Sunday. It was a bit windy early, but otherwise a nice day on the water. Chrystal_Murray's info post on Matlacha was invaluable. Made things alot easier.

Considering the vastness of the fishable area and my inexperience with Florida inshore fishing, I did OK. Not awesome, but decent. Would like to say I caught more fish since I was out all day long! But...got my biggest redfish to date, a large trout (who got off just before he got boated), bunch of smaller ones, some flounder, and some ladys.

Much of the area is very shallow, so shallow I couldn't use my hobie mirage drive and rudder for alot of it. But I tried to look for holes, oyster beds, watch for bird and bait activity, and look for mullet jumping. I'd have probably done better if I'd have known what I was doing and/or gone with someone who knows the area. I mainly used live shrimp on a circle hook and gulp shrimp on mission jigs, but also tried heddon and rapala topwater lures (no success with these).

It was a nice paddle though, you really feel as if you're in the backcountry. It was particularly gorgeous the "golden hour" around sunset. Also got to see my first manatees! All in all a good day and a nice place to fish.

I fished Roberts Bay on Saturday and put together some video clips of fish caught over the weekend to brag to my WA pals that I am out fishing!

Matlacha sunset!

shallow pockets

Cool video. looks like your catching on pretty quick.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Blue Magic

Post by Blue Magic »

Now that's what I call a Sarasota Tarpon................
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Good video, but you need to get some patter going. Here's a few phrases to get you going:

Fish On! - (can be used with any size fish but must be yelled at the first strike).

It's a MOGAN! - (Can be used any time during the fight but usually not after you land the fish, because, most of the time, they are not really a MOGAN)

Yee Haw - (can be used when you actually have a nice fish and makes a big jump)

Now that's a Hawg - (to be used after you actually land the fish and it is, in fact, a MOGAN)

M****r F****r S**T - (to be screamed when a Hawg throws the hook)

Man! She hammered it - (usually in conjuntion with a topwater strike, can be used in place of "Fish On")

"Now that's what I'm talking about" - (to be used when you finally catch the first fish of the day. Can be used in place of "Finally got the skunk off")
Last edited by dunfly on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

Great video, I love the beginning where you hear the splash and the drag scream! Keep up the good work.
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

dunfly wrote: It's a MOGAN! - (Can be used any time during the fight but usually not after you land the fish, because, most of the time, they are not really a MOGAN)
Haha...yeah I definitely need to talk more. I've never heard the term "MOGAN". I like it. Looks like it's synonymous with "HAWG".

Here's a couple vids from back home, fishing for sea monsters with 14" baitfish. I'm definitely more vocal in these!

a little long, but has alot of fun fishy parts! 7m15s starts one of my favorite fish of the summer!
shallow pockets

Awsome videos. Send that video over to the guys at Fish Grips and see if they will send you a new one.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

yeah, actually I did, and they sent me a test model of a new, reinforced one. I've been using it, but haven't had any "MOGAN'S" yet. :)
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

the_tall_man wrote: Haha...yeah I definitely need to talk more. I've never heard the term "MOGAN". I like it. Looks like it's synonymous with "HAWG".
You'll have to catch Addictive Fishing with Blair Wiggins.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?