Apollo Beach - 12/11/2010 more smoke on the water

Flamingo to Big Bend
1okbyme2

Re: Apollo Beach - 12/11/2010 more smoke on the water

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Rik wrote:
jbdba01 wrote: Obviously I have the GPS, but I carry maps too.
The maps are fine to help you get home after you've loaded the kayak in the truck. Out on the water you'll need charts. :wink:

Rule of thumb - your safety shouldn't depend on a battery. If you are ten miles back into a maze, a GPS is really nice to follow the breadcrumbs to get out. Until the battery dies. "My battery died" is a lousy excuse to give rescuers.

As stated in other post, I will have a good basic compass next time out after my experience at Simmons last Saturday.
I am really a dumbazz because I "learned"? this lesson once before deer hunting.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

1okbyme2 wrote:
Rik wrote:
jbdba01 wrote: Obviously I have the GPS, but I carry maps too.
The maps are fine to help you get home after you've loaded the kayak in the truck. Out on the water you'll need charts. :wink:

Rule of thumb - your safety shouldn't depend on a battery. If you are ten miles back into a maze, a GPS is really nice to follow the breadcrumbs to get out. Until the battery dies. "My battery died" is a lousy excuse to give rescuers.

As stated in other post, I will have a good basic compass next time out after my experience at Simmons last Saturday.
I am really a dumbazz because I "learned"? this lesson once before deer hunting.
What happened at Simmons & do you have an early entry pass?
RC
"You have to train hard and rest hard to go your fastest." anonymous
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

jbdba01 wrote:That would be weird. Typical deca-digit humor. You deca-digit people think you're so superior to us. :lol:
Having 10 digits is over-rated I think...it just means I have one more finger to use before I have to take my shoes off :roll:

So where is Nature Park :?:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

Norm wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:That would be weird. Typical deca-digit humor. You deca-digit people think you're so superior to us. :lol:
Having 10 digits is over-rated I think...it just means I have one more finger to use before I have to take my shoes off :roll:

So where is Nature Park :?:
at the north end of Surfside Blvd in apollo beach
"You have to train hard and rest hard to go your fastest." anonymous
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Carry extra batteries in a ziplock bag or drybag. Most batteries will last 10 hours in a GPS mine do at least and I carry extras.

A compass is no good if you don't know how to use it and in the fog ... could be a real problem. East is east and west is west.... But if you leave from the north and travel various directions.... which way is home?>??????

I stay home when foggy or bad weather..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

jbdba01 wrote:
CowboysFan wrote:That is some crazy fog....Good thing you planned ahead and had the compass. Funny enough I live less than 3 miles from Apollo Beach and have never fished there. Where do you launch from? Nature park? Hit me with a pm next time you head out if you want some company.

Great report keep em coming.
Yup - just walk down to the channel (100yards?? 20 yards in soft sand) and bingo you're in. Park closes at 6pm, and the warden says there's crime if you fish at night. Hard to believe with those $1M homes sitting right there. It's typically a smash and grab. Perhaps the answer would be to leave the doors/windows open. You're fine during daylight hours, it's the outside parking after hours that's a problem.

I'll let you know next time I go. My schedule is goofy - so it may be a booty call (err...booty pm).
My schedule is pretty crazy too. Booty pm is good with me. The colder it gets the more I ask myself why haven't I fished the warm outflow of TECO.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.