Whip Finishing

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Whip Finishing

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Bait-chucking fool that I am, I just realized that it is essentially the same proceedure as snelling a hook. Still a little rough around the ages, but I'm used to using 80#. I'll invest the time and reps if I can get as good as using the tool. Anyone else whip finish by hand? Pros/cons?

Thanks,

UT
Please, call me Kate
Offlander

Re: Whip Finishing

Post by Offlander »

Watched lots of fly tying clips and most whip finish by hand.

The learning CURVE for Me would take a long time to get good with the tool.
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

For a long time done by hand cause those stupid tools are stupid. However, I started to run into problems with roughness of fingers catching thread. Recently bought a better quality whip finish tool and so far its been good.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Rik

Post by Rik »

Uncle Tommy wrote:I just realized that it is essentially the same procedure as snelling a hook.
I'd duck for a couple days UT. You just revealed one of those sacred secrets.

Use a good tool. You aren't a caveman anymore.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use a whip finishing tool. To me, it is much easier than using the fingers, but then I have big fingers and don't have the feeling in them I used to. The tool comes with easy instructions. I do have a question though. You indicated you are using 80#. Are you talking about snelling hooks or tying flies? Most whip finishing tools are for fly tying, which uses much thinner thread. I'm not sure how well they would work with 80#.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Evan

Post by Evan »

When I started tying, it was mostly tiny little trout flies for tailwaters (down to size #24). Had to use a whip-finisher for those since fingers can't lay down 8/0 thread that accurately. Still use the whip-finisher out of habit, although I don't really need it for saltwater flies.

I'm also skeptical that a whip-finisher would be able to handle 80# test. Just doesn't seem flexible enough to wrap around the tool correctly.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

The 80# is for snelling 7/0's for Tarpon Season, but it's the same proceedure.

Thanks for your responses. I'll keep practicing!
Please, call me Kate
Evan

Post by Evan »

Can I momentarily de-rail this thread to ask a related question that's been nagging at me?

What is the benefit of snelling tarpon hooks? Lots of old-timers do this but I've never understood why. Seems to me that snelling would make a VERY stiff connection with 80# test, which wouldn't allow the hook (or bait, or fly) to move very naturally in the water. Does not seem like snelling creates a stronger connection than a nice loop knot, nor would it prevent the tarpon from wearing through the shock tippet any better. So why snell a tarpon hook??
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Evan wrote:Can I momentarily de-rail this thread to ask a related question that's been nagging at me?

What is the benefit of snelling tarpon hooks? Lots of old-timers do this but I've never understood why. Seems to me that snelling would make a VERY stiff connection with 80# test, which wouldn't allow the hook (or bait, or fly) to move very naturally in the water. Does not seem like snelling creates a stronger connection than a nice loop knot, nor would it prevent the tarpon from wearing through the shock tippet any better. So why snell a tarpon hook??
I started snelling my Tarpon hooks after having several loop knots wear through at the hook while playing big fish. While you are going to have a certain number of fish spit the hook, wear through the leader, or break the running line, losing big Tarpon due to leader wear at the hook is preventable by snelling, imo. After putting dozens of 100+ lb. fish in the air since I have been snelling, I have never had a big girl wear through the leader at the hook. Granted, this is only anecdotal evidence, but I'll take anecdotal over theoretical any day, especially when it comes to Tarpon.

I don't consider knot strength as a factor as I have never had a knot fail while playing a Tarpon (at least, not the one at the hook :oops: )

As for a less natural presentation, I would agree. But the Tarpon really don't seem to care.

This is not a year I will chase them with a fairy wand, but when I do, I'll tie a loop knot and take my chances.

UT
Please, call me Kate
Evan

Post by Evan »

Uncle Tommy wrote:This is not a year I will chase them with a fairy wand
A Fairy Wand?! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :stack:
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Long winter if you've already started snelling hooks for Tarpon season. Cabin fever ?
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Snelling. Pishaw! You don't snell a farking plastic bait. Ya don't snell a topwater. Ya don't snell a cockroach. You're a bait chucking sabiki jerking bait bucket pot licker. Start fresh this season will ya? Farks Sake Man!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

DaveR
Did you wash your mouth out after that snelling Rant?
DaveR wrote: Snelling. Pishaw! You don't snell a farking plastic bait. Ya don't snell a topwater. Ya don't snell a cockroach. You're a bait chucking sabiki jerking bait bucket pot licker. Start fresh this season will ya? Farks Sake Man!
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I have only just started. He's a damned longliner 5 months of the year. I will break him. It is a fairly common occurrence that I share a campsite with him and to be honest the fragrance of menhaden spoils the mood.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

He used to brag about being bait-free since '93!!!!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton