Paddle Leashes

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Heywood

Paddle Leashes

Post by Heywood »

DLeashes

Malibu Pro Staff member Donald Drabek has spent a lifetime on the water or in the woods. It was that experience that led him to start DLeashes. Becoming frustrated with the choices of items like call lanyards and game straps, Donald learned the process of braiding parachute cord from a buddy who had been in the Navy. Once he got into kayaking he started making his own paddle leashes as well as camera, rod and Boga Grip straps.

One of the most important pieces of safety equipment, in my opinion, a paddle leash is a must. Let’s face it, you lose your paddle, you’re up the creek without a……. well you get the idea. I recently broke my paddle leash and remembered that when we started the Team Malibu site, there was a guy on there talking about paddle leashes. I finally made contact with Donald and he made up a few of his leashes for me. All I can say is “WOW”. Exactly what I wanted.

Quality work here, no doubt about it. A brass clip to secure it to your kayak.

A sliding clamp, with rubber heat shrink. This allows for a secure fit to your paddle.

I really like this type of paddle leash, strong and sturdy. You could use this to help reenter your kayak in deep water if you wanted. It could also come in handy while camping. If you needed to rig something together in an emergency, you would have plenty of para cord to work with. With a breaking strength around 3000 pounds (if I remember right) the uses in an emergency are endless.

Donald also makes some quality game call lanyards as well as game straps.

Available in multiple colors, Donald stands behind all his products 100%. If interested send him an email at [email protected]
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Paddle Leashes

Post by DaveR »

We used to call that fancywork in the Navy. I never took the time to learn it but wish I had. Nice stuff Bill.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

For a time, I lived on a large sailboat. Every piece of pipe was a potential piece of rope artwork. I added a few during the year I was aboard.

Back to the topic of paddle leashes. I'll admit that I use one less than 50% of the time but know that I should use one 100% of the time. I've been out with someone who lost their paddle. Granted, it took about an hour to find it (wind and current were in the same direction) but it was kinda nasty wondering who was going to give the guy half a kayak paddle to get home - which meant you'd half to use half a paddle to get home too.

They should be one of those things you ALWAYS take with you. Here's a suggestion that I have started doing. Leave it on the paddle when you get back to the launch. Disconnect the leash from the boat, not the paddle. This just makes it easier to do what you know you should do.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Shep

Post by Shep »

DaveR wrote:We used to call that fancywork in the Navy. I never took the time to learn it but wish I had. Nice stuff Bill.
Ahh yes, the Navy. Where they spend their time braiding lines. Where over here in the CG, we're doing little things like saving people's lives. :wink:
Just screwing with ya Dave.
New place, new fishing adventures.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You forgot the part where we blow shit up Shep. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Shep

Post by Shep »

DaveR wrote:You forgot the part where we blow shit up Shep. :wink:
We do that too. Just not usually on purpose. :wink:
New place, new fishing adventures.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

So uh, who is selling them & how much? :idea:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

That's a mighty fine rod or paddle leash. In my experience, the weak link is the adjustable thingy, the springs seem to rust out after a few months.

DaveR, don't take smack from the puddle pirate.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Redtracker

Post by Redtracker »

Thank you Bill for such a great review. there was a question about the cord holder about the spring rusting out. I have one I have been using for four years without a problem. Whenever I get back from paddling I rinse my leashs in fresh water the a squirt of reel majic on the metal and cord holder. Every once in a while I wash them by hand in a mild soap. I also make the loop large enough if the holder breaks or rust out just break it off and then you can double the loop to hold the paddle and your leash is still good to go. I will also say if anyone has to unbraid the leash to use the line for an emergency of any sort sned it back to me with a note tell me and I will rebraid it for you. If there are any question or something I can help you with just let me know.

redtracker
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

1okbyme2 wrote:So uh, who is selling them & how much? :idea:
Send him an email. Its in the post.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Been using mine since i got down in November & I love it.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

You can get campers cord, nylon at Wal-Mart for about $2 and make your own far cheaper and it will be your handiwork... not some ex-navy guys.. I have mine and its made by me and ex-AIR FORCE guy. and we bomb things... among other things.... :bom: :compress:
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]