New reel really works

pag_yaker

Re: New reel really works

Post by pag_yaker »

I don't know what I did diffrently, but I've certainly got nothing against either one now.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

A couple weeks ago I picked up Heywood's reels from Doug at WaveSpin. Here's copy from an email I sent to him about my findings.

"Doug,

I went fishing yesterday and had nothing but trouble with the 3000 reels. Although I didn't have any major tangle problems I did have a couple small ones and constant hang-ups to the point I couldn't use any casting pressure like you might have while casting into the wind or just trying to get some distance. I can understand how you could have some bad tangles with the right set-up and casting technique. Mainly with weight on the line. The one rig I only had a plastic bait and hook, no weight to speak of, and had no issues with it. That same reel was already spooled with 12 or 15lb. so I spooled the other with a small diameter 20lb. (Tuf-Line XP) since I was throwing a 1/2 oz. Mirr-O-Lure. The line goes on the reel like attached image "Spool1".

When casting the upper wraps slip over the edge of the tapered line stack which loosens them enough to snag the main line. It appears one wrap slips half way over the spool then pinches off the main line stopping travel. After an hour of trying, including letting all my line out then reeling it back in against the current to pack it tight, I finally removed the plastic washer from under the spool. That lowered the spool on the shaft and packed the line tighter against the top like attached image "Spool2". Problem solved. I was able to finish the balance of the day without any hang-ups or tangles on either reel and I could cast as hard as necessary into 25 mph winds. When I looked at the spool after a smooth but easy cast there was always a slight loose wrap at the top, and sometimes the bottom of the line stack where the line tapers off to meet the spool. I can't help but wonder if the extra space at the top and bottom of shaft travel might be to much for small diameter lines."

Image Image

For a couple days after the above outing I kept trying to figure why these two reels were such a problem when reels weren't coming back to Doug as defective for the same reason. One evening it hit me. I recalled noticing in a bag of small WaveSpin parts that there are two different thickness washers which fit under the spool. These two reels had the thicker of the two so I've since installed the thinner washers. My last outing, Roger Humm and I spent 7 to 8 hours on the water with constant fishing, I had no problems with the reel.

In looking at my 4000 reel, it uses the thicker washer.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Phnd wrote:I've been using Okuma VS-40's
There is your problem.

I've been fishing braid for at least 6 years. I've used just about every brand of braid. Ever since I went to Suffix and Samurai, I can't remember the last time I got a knot.

I use Daiwa and Shimano reels.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Heywood wrote:Look, I'm glad he likes them. Really.

But here's my proof.
Those knots are huge. I've lost some line to knots before, but I'm curious as to how you lost so much. Did all those happen to the same reel on the same day?
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
pbr

Post by pbr »

Nice work Phil, I knew there had to be a reason, though I havent had any problems I will check the washers in mine.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

22acrowd wrote:
Phnd wrote:I've been using Okuma VS-40's
There is your problem.

I've been fishing braid for at least 6 years. I've used just about every brand of braid. Ever since I went to Suffix and Samurai, I can't remember the last time I got a knot.

I use Daiwa and Shimano reels.

That can't be an issue. I used Okuma VS reels for many years without issue.
I am now using Wright & McGill Sabalos with no issues.

When are you guys going to start paying attention and stop spreading this BS? I bet you also believe shutting the bail by hand solves wind knots, too...

Wind knots are not a product of what brand reel you are using. There's no magic spool that eliminates the problem. Wind knots are caused by several factors that come into play with each other. The problem starts with the bait you are throwing. Jerkbaits, spoons or jigs on crappy jigheads that spin create line twists. If you run your leader knot through the guides or use a slow action rod, it slows the line down at the front of the rod when you cast. The line coming off the reel is moving faster than the line at the front of the rod allowing the line twists up on itself. Pfffft.... a wind knot is born. Another common problem that occurs when using a weightless jerkbait of something similar is when you pop and twitch your rod tip and you are reeling at the same time, you can reel a slack loop into the spool. This is where the myth about closing the bail by hand came from. The loop doesn't occur during the cast, it comes from your retrieval technique. There are some reels that perpetuate this more than others but every reel I have used is capable of doing this. The only thing that can fix it is you. Pay attention to the way you twitch and reel. If you look at your reel instead of the other end while you are fishing, you'll see that when the line goes slack while you crank the reel the line bows out further during the rotation. You might even hear it slap the rod sometimes. When that loose line gets spun onto the spool, the "loop" or loose line that rides up on the lip of the spool causes friction and can grab that loop and shoot it out the guides before its time to come off the reel. Pffft... another wind knot is born.
It's all you...

And for those of you that still refuse to pay attention, try FINS Windtamer braided line. This line is slightly thicker and a lot stiffer than other braids which cuts down the possibility of the line twisting up on itself and does a wonderful job at reducing wind knots. I use it on all my client/newbie rods.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

What do you know? :roll: :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Todd wrote:What do you know? :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

.........You could use a Bait Caster Reel and really get some super Bird Nests.......
Last edited by JoeS on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Phnd wrote:A couple weeks ago I picked up Heywood's reels from Doug at WaveSpin. Here's copy from an email I sent to him about my findings.

"Doug,

I went fishing yesterday and had nothing but trouble with the 3000 reels. Although I didn't have any major tangle problems I did have a couple small ones and constant hang-ups to the point I couldn't use any casting pressure like you might have while casting into the wind or just trying to get some distance. I can understand how you could have some bad tangles with the right set-up and casting technique. Mainly with weight on the line. The one rig I only had a plastic bait and hook, no weight to speak of, and had no issues with it. That same reel was already spooled with 12 or 15lb. so I spooled the other with a small diameter 20lb. (Tuf-Line XP) since I was throwing a 1/2 oz. Mirr-O-Lure. The line goes on the reel like attached image "Spool1".

When casting the upper wraps slip over the edge of the tapered line stack which loosens them enough to snag the main line. It appears one wrap slips half way over the spool then pinches off the main line stopping travel. After an hour of trying, including letting all my line out then reeling it back in against the current to pack it tight, I finally removed the plastic washer from under the spool. That lowered the spool on the shaft and packed the line tighter against the top like attached image "Spool2". Problem solved. I was able to finish the balance of the day without any hang-ups or tangles on either reel and I could cast as hard as necessary into 25 mph winds. When I looked at the spool after a smooth but easy cast there was always a slight loose wrap at the top, and sometimes the bottom of the line stack where the line tapers off to meet the spool. I can't help but wonder if the extra space at the top and bottom of shaft travel might be to much for small diameter lines."

Image Image

For a couple days after the above outing I kept trying to figure why these two reels were such a problem when reels weren't coming back to Doug as defective for the same reason. One evening it hit me. I recalled noticing in a bag of small WaveSpin parts that there are two different thickness washers which fit under the spool. These two reels had the thicker of the two so I've since installed the thinner washers. My last outing, Roger Humm and I spent 7 to 8 hours on the water with constant fishing, I had no problems with the reel.

In looking at my 4000 reel, it uses the thicker washer.

Well, there you go.

I was assured it wasnt the reels. It was me, my improper casting technique, the rod I was using blah, blah, blah.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote: It was me, my improper casting technique, the rod I was using blah, blah, blah.
Regardless of that long article by Phnd, it' still you.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:
Heywood wrote: It was me, my improper casting technique, the rod I was using blah, blah, blah.
Regardless of that long article by Phnd, it' still you.
I am the duck :cool:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Shouldn't a reel work right out of the box without having to mess around with different washers and such?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Todd, I didn't see the reels fresh out of the box so I can't say one way or the other if the washers had been changed or if they came that way. I briefly spoke with Doug an asked if he had any returns or complaints from this issue. He said none but was concerned and wanted to get to the bottom of it.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Damit people just buy a Van Stall !!!!
0 0 1
apx255

Post by apx255 »

cooknfish said
"That can't be an issue. I used Okuma VS reels for many years without issue."

cook is dead on...i have been using the okuma vs's for approx 4 years and have never had a problem...smooth and reliable..anyone have experience with the stradic ci4...the lightweight is appeaing but i'm concerned about durability...