Anyone else have this problem?

Ryanrocksfender

Anyone else have this problem?

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

When i try the walk the dog technique with my Daiwa Exceler reel with braided line i end up getting alot of slack loops which lead to nasty knots. Does anyone else have this problem with braid? any tips on fixin it?
wilfish

Re: Anyone else have this problem?

Post by wilfish »

It could be a few things causing that problem . By all means I'm not a pro at this , But 1 The braided line was not put on tight enough and its too lose 2-when you cast the line ,when the lure hits the water,close the bail by hand .{ on a spinning reel}.That or you are trying to cast in the wind and that can cause it too.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

I use an Exceler with braided line. One possibility is pulling too hard (moving the lure too far) and then starting the next pull before the lure settles. Just a slight twitch of the wrist is all that's needed. I've also had a problem with braid that's ultra thin and particularly with PP.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I have been fishing a lot of "dog walkers" this fall and winter and I can only suggest what seems to work for me. I've tried to develop the habit of the rod twitch and reeling up the slack as two distinct movements, i.e. don't do them simultaneously. Twitch, twitch, reel, then repeat. I have no idea if this makes all that much difference, but I only get a wind knot once in a blue moon lately and it's one that I can simply pull out for the most part. There are many more knowledgable on this issue but this seems to have improved my retrieves, when I pay attention and remember to do it.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

With braid you don't have to move the rod tip very much at all because the braid does not stretch at all. try a very slight motion and you'll probably find the lure moves even better while walking.
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Kneedeep had a great suggestion.

I use Daiwa reels and I only have that problem with Fins Braid. Tried to go cheap but now I am back to sufix.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

shallow pockets wrote:Kneedeep had a great suggestion.

I use Daiwa reels and I only have that problem with Fins Braid. Tried to go cheap but now I am back to sufix.
Is that Suffix any good? I use SpiderWire XXX Super Mono which is a co-polymer Mono/Floro blend. I love the stuff and it's completely invisible in the water. I did want to put some braid on a Med/Heavy St. Croix rod I have though, Just in case! :shock: :shock:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

kneedeep wrote:

Is that Suffix any good? I use SpiderWire XXX Super Mono which is a co-polymer Mono/Floro blend. I love the stuff and it's completely invisible in the water. I did want to put some braid on a Med/Heavy St. Croix rod I have though, Just in case! :shock: :shock:
Just curious about your last comment. Are you referring to beach Tarpon? If so, you may want to consider an XHXF. Also, I have found that 30# braid is enough for the big girls if you make them pull you around.

I'm just saying because I don't know you to be a big Tarpon targeter. You obviously know what you're doing!

Cheers,

UT
Please, call me Kate
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

kneedeep wrote:

I prefer the Sufix. In my opinion I think it performs the best. As for Tarpon 30 to 40lb braid is plenty strong.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Hmmm...an interesting article on poon started here - going to expand this on a new thread as it is beyond the scope of just braid.
JB
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

I'm gonna start walking the dog more.
Top water hits are exciting.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell