New from MacDill AFB

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
ssgswjohnson

New from MacDill AFB

Post by ssgswjohnson »

Hey all, I just picked up my first Kayak, used with some fishing accessories. I'm used to fishing from structures or shore, so this will be a new experience for me. all of my fishing buddies went and got kayaks, so i didnt want to be the guy left on the shore.

I picked up a emotion mojo 12'. its an older model (from what i was told) that is a bit narrower than the newer ones. it came with a stakeout pole, anchor trolly, paddle, and removable outriggers (to combat the narrowness). all for 400 bucks. i still have to get a few things for it to get it up to snuff.

I'm enlisted, U.S. Army, and im finishing up a deployment (should be home in a couple weeks). all of my bros out here started ordering or having their spouses pick up fishing kayaks, so my unit will have at least 5 anglers when we all get back.

I'll be 28 in march (ill be flying on my Bday). I'm married and i have six kids (two singles and two sets of twins). I've been in the Army for just over 9 years, and i love my job. I'm origionally from the Pacific Northwest, having grown up in both a small town (chehalis washington) and a city (salem Oregon).

The only thing im worried about is that im about 230lbs and i've never been on a kayak before... so its going to take my butt some getting used to...

anyway, this site rocks and i hope to see some of you out there!!

-steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: New from MacDill AFB

Post by jbdba01 »

Welcome. These might be helpful (maybe).

My first try at kayaking.

Recent trip to MacDill

I'm 6'2 220lbs (a mountain of molten lust as I tell my wife - she points out otherwise) and as long as you have a decent sense of balance you should be fine.

Perhaps I can buy you a beer(s) at a PFTS and thank you for your service personally...
JB
ssgswjohnson

Post by ssgswjohnson »

We will definately have to run into eachother at some point. Ive done quite a bit of fishing right on base. ive caught reds, jacks, cats, sheepshead, some others, and of course... rays.

I have figured out where to go on base for what, and i got a real real good spot to castnet for finger mullet if you like to use livebait. You seem familiar with the area, so ill let you in on something i learned right before i deployed; head to iether the boatramp, or the beach by the restaurant and launch. if you are on the beach and facing the water, look over to the right and you can see where there is an inlet to get into the streams that cut throuh the base... well right on the other side of that, i have seen some people pull out some beautiful reds! i saw a guy that was doing some release fishing bring back one because it was too big to pass on (a bit over 30 i believe). you can walk out there during low tide as well, but like most of macdill... stingrays like crazy. OH.. and there were quite a few curious sharks over there as well...

all the jacks and sheephead i caught were on the bayshore side of base, down by the corner of the golf course (where the clubhouse is)... that was a fun day for me.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

ssgswjohnson wrote: i saw a guy that was doing some release fishing bring back one because it was too big to pass on (a bit over 30 i believe).
Before anyone goes fishing they should pay close attention to the regulations.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DavidtheProducer

Post by DavidtheProducer »

You can't keep a red over 27"...hopefully he didn't keep a 30 incher. I don't even think they're good to eat when they get that big...guys? Anyone know? I heard they get full of worms like black drum do when they're that big
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

DOH!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ssgswjohnson

Post by ssgswjohnson »

like i said, "i think". im not sure what the size was. we all know that people arent always following the rulez, but i could be wrong... it doesnt happen often (unless you ask the wife) but it does happen.

i did get some good news today though... we finally are getting out of my current deployed location... so im one step closer to being home. yay me and stuff.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

ssgswjohnson wrote:i did get some good news today though... we finally are getting out of my current deployed location... so im one step closer to being home. yay me and stuff.
:thumbright: Great news, thanks for your service.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM