2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

John
Guv'ner

Re: 2010 - 2011 PFTS - a recap and ??? about the next series

Post by John »

Our founder JayB was the original Curmudgeon!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Native1

Post by Native1 »

Thank you for the definition, I kind of thought it something like that. Or maybe some kind of extinct fish. :?
Leave me alone I'm in my nothing box.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Has Events age they have there Ebbs and flows

It happens in all types of sporting events

What makes a bar or nightclub Hot one month , then dead the next.

Things change

I love the events - it is sad but this is almost the only time I get to go fishing.

I don't mind the cold. :santa:

As it was said before you can't make everybody Happy

I have always invited Friends, Relatives and Neighbors to fish the tournaments with me. So you just get them signed up with an account and go fishing. I understand the rule about anglers being club members. :cheers:

You really need to hear for the member that do not come to the tournaments
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Okay,

How about a fresh water tournament?

A couple ideas:
Lake Manatee and surrounding areas (Braden River, Little Manatee, etc.)

Large bass
Greatest catch in length

Slam:
Bass
Bluegill (and related cousins)
Speck (Crappie)

And here is another idea. An optional competition between fly flingers and conventional gear. Can be an extra pot. I think the freshwater lends itself to this sort of thing.
1 3 12 120 3000
brunz36

Post by brunz36 »

First I wanna say this was my first season and it was really cool getting to meet everyone and fish some new spots. The only recommendation I can make is for the PFTS Angler of the Year, is that we receive a 10 point bonus if we complete the slam. The slam is the ultimate goal of the series and I feel we should get a bonus for achieving said goal.
  • EG: Trout 18 + Snook 22 + Red 26 + 10 Pic n' Sip + 10 Bonus = 86 points
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I think you should be posing the question of why people do not attend to the General board. Pretty likely those that dont fish the event's don't read this forum.

just sayin'
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

John wrote:I think you should be posing the question of why people do not attend to the General board. Pretty likely those that dont fish the event's don't read this forum.

just sayin'
John's comments have been dead on the money for me, including this one - I rarely read that topic since I rarely manage to go to the events. I've been on the board for a long time, but have only been to a handful of PFTS events, even though EVERY YEAR I get fired up when the season starts. So, here are a few Pag'n thoughts ...

REASONS I HAVEN'T ATTENDED MORE EVENTS:
- Lack Of Time: As a M-F'r, Saturday's are often golden and hard to squeeze fishing in to them. So, I'm open to some Sunday events. I'm also open to changingstart/finish times based on when fish should be biting.
- For summer fishing, start early and end around 11. Yes, more events could be done.
- Season Long Pot: Of course a man wants to think he'll be at every event all season. But the truth is, all *I* want to do is show up in the morning, pay my money, go fish, and head to the pic and sip. At the end of the P&S, it's all over until the next event. For a new member, following all that stuff about points and such just takes away from the simplicity of the One Lure Challenge which started it all.

THINGS THAT MIGHT IMPROVE ATTENDANCE:
- Allow non-members
- advertise outside of PF
- *optional* 2 to 3 man teams, in that folks are paired so that angler A (who knows Fort DedSoto) is linked with Angler B (unfamiliar with Fort DeSoto). Could be a voluntary thing, but if you wanna go solo, so be it. The pairing could be done a couple days before the event so there's no awkward moments before sunrise, 2 men in a parking lot. Maybe not such a great idea for 4th street though. I know nothing SOTE. So having someone to at least point me down a path is helpful. And I'd gladly return the favor if possible up NOTE.
- $15 is a good price point for an entry, provided you don't have to spend any more money to buy a lure (or lures) at the sign-in.
- payment available via PayPal, so I can take it off on my taxes. :)
- always have some sort of cash prize (enough to cover a mixed drink) for largest Jack, or Mack, or whatever
- speaking of that, have a "jacks are wild" event. It doesn't always have to be about the big 3

SO, who's up for a summer session?
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Rik

Post by Rik »

pag_yaker wrote:I've been on the board for a long time, but have only been to a handful of PFTS events, even though EVERY YEAR I get fired up when the season starts. So, here are a few Pag'n thoughts ...

REASONS I HAVEN'T ATTENDED MORE EVENTS:
- Lack Of Time: As a M-F'r, Saturday's are often golden and hard to squeeze fishing in to them. So, I'm open to some Sunday events. I'm also open to changingstart/finish times based on when fish should be biting.
- For summer fishing, start early and end around 11. Yes, more events could be done.
- Season Long Pot: Of course a man wants to think he'll be at every event all season. But the truth is, all *I* want to do is show up in the morning, pay my money, go fish, and head to the pic and sip. At the end of the P&S, it's all over until the next event. For a new member, following all that stuff about points and such just takes away from the simplicity of the One Lure Challenge which started it all.
A couple points for you, Jerry, and please understand them for their intent.

re: your lack of time. How is holding them on Sunday any different? A few folks have mentioned Sunday and we very well may consider doing some. If half the events had been held on Sunday this past series, would you have attended any? Would Sunday dates have made any difference in your attendance this past series?

re: more events. The same question, how would that affect your attendance. If we had one next month, would you be there? How about June, July or August, would you be there?

re: season long pot. The season long pot is voluntary. It is a separate 'side bet' sort of thing. If you want to compete in it, you pay extra. If not, you don't pay.

one more random point. The only time we've had people spend money to buy lures at the sign in is for the Mystery Lure events. On each of those, the anglers got a lot of lures for their money. A lot more than they could have gone and purchased on their own. It's hard to do a Mystery Lure any other way. And, I would bet, less than what each angler went and spent on lures for each of the other events.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I've only been to a couple, mostly because of conflicts in the past. Different situation at the moment, I just can't be on the water that long. But my observations from the couple I've been to, It ain't broke. Tinker if you will, but don't go fixing it! There's nothing wrong with the basic premise. It's not expensive. It's a bunch of great people. It's a lot of fun! It's competitive, but not so much that a "newbie" cannot place, or just learn a new area.
JMHO

When I can get back out there I will, I really look forward to it and am disappointed every time I cannot

Mark
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Todd wrote:
TexasDan wrote:Why don't we spread the wealth a little more.
That is a great idea Dan, but, someone, usually me, has to get all those sponsor prizes.
JoeS wrote:work on getting the other active 55-60 people to play.....
Little changes will make the difference.....
How do we work on them Joe? And what little changes would make a difference?

I realize that no matter what format/formats we choose there is no way to make everyone happy but to go through all the work to get these done and only have 30-40 show up is disheartening.
Did we ever have more than 40 show up?
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Blindmullet wrote: Did we ever have more than 40 show up?
All but one we had over 40 show up, we average just over 40 at each event.

And who is we? :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
dagny

Post by dagny »

I'm a newbie, if you will. I didn't participate in the PFTS this year, but really looked forward to reading the recaps and seeing pictures. I've been lurking on this site since I started kayak fishing in September and have learned a lot of great things. I didn't participate because I feel too new. I'm intimidated about getting out in areas I've never been fishing before as I'm still getting used to kayaking and have limited experience. I would love to participate in the next series, though I'm sure the same fears will be there. Given that I have very little time to spend on the water, I'm learning kayaking and fishing with each day I get out there. I know that my skills will increase as I get out there and try new areas. Maybe it would nice if there was a way to help a newbie come into the sport and the events and feel a little more comfortable on the tournament days? Getting to know some people would be a huge help...especially as a girl venturing out on the water alone.

Hoping to join the next series! :D
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I've always wanted to fish one. I enjoyed the paddle ins when I first discovered the sport and the board. My problem is every time I mix money and fishing I take it to serious and don't enjoy myself. I know thats ridiculous but thats just how i'm wired. I'll try to get over it and participate next season. Another obstacle is I don't drink alcohol. So if I kick all your ass's i'll have to buy a bottle of bourbon and you all can share that. My wife would kick my teeth in if she found out I was in a bar buying drinks. Last time that happened I came home with hickies. :drunken:
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Todd wrote:
Blindmullet wrote: Did we ever have more than 40 show up?
All but one we had over 40 show up, we average just over 40 at each event.

And who is we? :wink:
That was my alter ego...the one who paddle fishes.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

dagny wrote:I'm a newbie, if you will. I didn't participate in the PFTS this year, but really looked forward to reading the recaps and seeing pictures. I've been lurking on this site since I started kayak fishing in September and have learned a lot of great things. I didn't participate because I feel too new. I'm intimidated about getting out in areas I've never been fishing before as I'm still getting used to kayaking and have limited experience. I would love to participate in the next series, though I'm sure the same fears will be there. Given that I have very little time to spend on the water, I'm learning kayaking and fishing with each day I get out there. I know that my skills will increase as I get out there and try new areas. Maybe it would nice if there was a way to help a newbie come into the sport and the events and feel a little more comfortable on the tournament days? Getting to know some people would be a huge help...especially as a girl venturing out on the water alone.

Hoping to join the next series! :D
Good to hear from someone new......You are always welcome to join in this is a great place to meet and learn.....Welcome.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

I say do a team tournament of 2 people during the summer time and this would be a trial run to see how it goes. There are no prizes just bragging rights till the pfts starts and the guys that run the pfts would pick the teams and dont put the best with the best mix it people up and lets have some fun. I dont care who i fish with thats not why i joined the PF i joined because i wanted to meet different people and become a better fisherman and i have thanks to a few people that i consider good friends with alot information that i didnt know. I say find a place in the middle and we fish it and lets stop talkin and start fishin. I think the skyway is the middle grounds if im correct i maybe wrong. JUST MY 2 CENTS