kayak science project - tells us what you think

UCFengineerstudents

kayak science project - tells us what you think

Post by UCFengineerstudents »

First off, if this is in the incorrect forum, I apologize.

My name is Mike and I'm part of a senior design team in aerospace/mechanical engineering at the University of Central Florida. One of our newly committed sponsors, Hook 1 Kayak Fishing Gear, suggested that we post here in order to gain even more feedback. So here goes.

Our project deals with developing a human-powered kayak propulsion system based on the Archimedes screw. We've talked to two presidents of local kayak fishing clubs as well as posted in two other forums in order to find out complaints/considerations when it comes to the two main systems already on the market: Mirage Drive and Propel. We've tried to integrate these considerations into the design. Although, we've completed a semester all about the design, in my eyes, the design is still fluid (no pun intended) and can be altered. We have the summer and the fall to work on it. I won't waste your time with details of the early concepts. Just wanted to show you some pictures and get some feedback. Thanks for looking.

After contacting over 30 companies, we've only gotten two sponsors. Needless to say, our budget is tight. We're not so much manufacturing parts from scratch as we are meshing off-the-shelf parts together. The drive is modeled of a 12" unicycle. The caliper is a standard bicycle caliper. Instead of a control cable, there'd be a spring attached (not pictured). The rollers would be attached to some rotary drive joints which would be attached to rotary drive cables.

The screw is just PVC pipe and a plastic grain auger mounted inside. The bracket is based off a trolling motor bracket for mounting on an outboard. I think we're moving away from this mounting idea, though.

Here's a concept of the final assembly. The screw drives are most likely going to be moved farther apart and closer to the hull. We're trying to figure out an ingenious way of driving the screws in opposite directions on command. This would allow for reverse with both turning backwards, or turning with one going forward, one back. All this could be done with the normal over the top pedaling motion, as opposed to having to reverse the pedals. Everything is being designed to be detachable and as quiet as we can make it. Analysis shows we can generate a good amount of thrust, enough to meet a rough calculated thrust of the Hobie Mirage system. Let us know what you think.
TRKpoker

Re: kayak science project - tells us what you think

Post by TRKpoker »

I can envision several problems with the design. First trash. Often these boats are used over grass beds. The grass could (most likely) get in the drive system. Second size under boat. The mirage drive system can be pulled up when the craft is in shallow water and a paddle can be used. This system doesnt look like it can be used in ultra skinny water. Also beach launches could/would be an issue. I will give it more thought but thats the first two things that come to mind at first glance.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Some questions.

Is the drive unit detachable while in the kayak?

How much depth will be required beyond the normal draft of a kayak?

Will the pedal unit have any gears to reduce the number of pedal revolutions once speed is obtained?

Could the drive unit be embedded in the hull to decrease the draft requirement? Not knowing how big around those pipes are, it seems they could be embedded, at least partially, and use the existing draft of the kayak.

Has any testing been done on the augers to see how they'll react to normal stuff in the water such weeds, gorilla snot (not the technical term I'm sure but everyone on this forum knows about it), sand, oysters?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Pretty neat concept. I would only suggest to not put too much time and effort in a reversing mechanism as 99% of the time you'll be going forwards.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

TRKpoker wrote: The mirage drive system can be pulled up when the craft is in shallow water and a paddle can be used. This system doesnt look like it can be used in ultra skinny water.
Instead of a solid mounting bracket as in the pic between the two motors perhaps the design could "swing" both "motors" up to either side of the kayak but not too far as to impede the use of a kayak paddle.

I'm liking this project!! :)
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: Instead of a solid mounting bracket as in the pic between the two motors perhaps the design could "swing" both "motors" up to either side of the kayak but not too far as to impede the use of a kayak paddle.
Looking at it closer, perhaps you could move the "motors" to the rear of the kayak. Then, when you pulled "the/a" lever to raise the motors to just above water level, so as to eliminate drag, you wouldn't impede paddling at all.
GIL

CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Gil, you and I are thinking alike.
The flexible drive cables create some interesting possibilities without creating a lot of draft.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

:)
GIL

MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I liked where Rik was going. It would be good to see the props inside the the hull enclosed drawing water thru a tunnel and forcing it out the rear. Kind of like the worm drive in the movie Hunt for Red October. Also if the drive could be powered by the existing foot pads rather then a set of pedals or wheel. As a kid we had pedal cars where the car was driven with a right left push of the legs. Personall I would rather it be permanantly installed in the kayak so light weight maerials would be a must. Also belt drives only aka Harley Davidson. That little chain on the mirage drive is quite a bit of money to replace. A simpler design may be to have the pedal car drive with a snow mobile style tread wheel. It must be light enough for portage and be able to get into the really skinny water. If not then the paddle will still be king.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Couple issues:

1) Mentioned before: draft. Mounting under the kayak for proof of concept is fine, but shortly thereafter I'd be looking at something similar to the "Red October", with the screws mounted in hull tunnels.

2) Steering. Are you planning to use a hand-operated rudder? If so, you want to balance the distance between the screws, both fore-and-aft and spacing from centerline. Assuming direct drive from your illustration, it appears the screws will counter-rotate. Testing those distances, and rudder size/shape, will tell you about rudder flutter and effectiveness in any drive stream eddies, etc.

Instead of feeding the screws power directly from two drives, you could always feed a dual friction transmission that allows you to direct more "power" to one screw or the other, and thereby provide some steering. Very simple mechanically, low maintenance... combine that with the rudder, and you may not need the reversing screw.

You can address both 1 & 2 by detatchably mounting short drive tubes at the after end of the kayak, and steering them there...

Sorry... got carried away... :oops:

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

What about moving the drive mechanism, (an idea I been tossing around for a few years for an electric option), actually up into the rear end of the hull like a JetSkii intake water from directly below into the tube with either a directional output nozzle like a jet ski or fixed with a rudder. The rudder idea leaves out the reverse option, but a gated metal peice like JetBoats use to force the thrust down could be easily added for minimal reverse thrust.

Looking at the current design, I'd wonder if you could actually get good enough bite on the rollers to wheel into the drive cables to get the power transfer towards the screw-drive with out simply twisting the cable itself into a knot.

My son graduated from UCF Civil Engineering, currently unemployed and looking for another job. Go Knights
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

MrSpectaculous wrote:I liked where Rik was going. It would be good to see the props inside the the hull enclosed drawing water thru a tunnel and forcing it out the rear. Kind of like the worm drive in the movie Hunt for Red October. Also if the drive could be powered by the existing foot pads rather then a set of pedals or wheel. As a kid we had pedal cars where the car was driven with a right left push of the legs. Personall I would rather it be permanantly installed in the kayak so light weight maerials would be a must. Also belt drives only aka Harley Davidson. That little chain on the mirage drive is quite a bit of money to replace. A simpler design may be to have the pedal car drive with a snow mobile style tread wheel. It must be light enough for portage and be able to get into the really skinny water. If not then the paddle will still be king.

I agree with Mr. Spec about the design of the hull being a tunnel hull or maybe a double tunnel hull running fore and aft. This would allow the kayak to run in ultra skinny water and protect the screw drive from getting damaged by grass, sand or oyster beds in shallow water. I am certain you would probably sell the drive already mounted on a kayak and not retro-fitted onto an existing boat anyway. Of course, this may add another semester of projects.. :shock: And, having the pedal part be closer to the mirage drive, this may solve the issue of backing up.. :wink:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Yeah, my daught went to UCF as well before transferring to the great white North,...Tallahassee. :roll:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

most if not all "pick up" ideas have the big issue of trash...from grass to tree leaves to the bad one ...plastic bags. Foot power wont be strong enough to rip,tear,shread these items. Even flow through designs like a jet ski or the Red Oct. wont be good without higher speeds to discharge trash.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Will the screws create any suction so they could be mounted above the water line?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
UCFengineerstudents

Post by UCFengineerstudents »

TRKpoker wrote:I can envision several problems with the design. First trash.
Forgot to mention that the design does include a grate/mesh on the intakes. They're planned for both intakes and outlets. Just not shown in the model.
TRKpoker wrote:Second size under boat.
As mentioned before, we're most likely going to move the screws further apart and closer to the hull. We're toying with the idea of putting the mounting bracket on top the kayak behind the driver. I'm a bit hesitant to do this since I believe space is a premium for you guys. We're also trying to incorporate some adjustability into the bracket, for up and down and possibly forward and back. This would be to allow for shallowest draft at all times and address the launching issues.
Rik wrote: Is the drive unit detachable while in the kayak?
As it is shown now, no. However, see above. We're working on it.
Rik wrote:How much depth will be required beyond the normal draft of a kayak?
Officially, we need to beat 12". Unofficially, I would like to draft much less than this.
Rik wrote:Will the pedal unit have any gears to reduce the number of pedal revolutions once speed is obtained?
The ratio we're shooting for is 1/5. One turn of the pedals would equal 5 turns of each screw. We based this on a 1 pedal rev/s cadence for cruise. That equates to 300rpm for the screws. We're considering using the tapered rollers shown to our advantage. By moving forward or backwards, you could get a variable ratio. Don't know how big an impact this would make yet. Not without more calculations.
Rik wrote:Could the drive unit be embedded in the hull to decrease the draft requirement? Not knowing how big around those pipes are, it seems they could be embedded, at least partially, and use the existing draft of the kayak.
The pipes are 3-4" PVc, most likely 4". We avoided anything to do with a tunnel hull since it would've added to our workload and would've been impossible for us to do with the equipment we have. For us to 'pass' we have to prove numerically everything we're doing. Accurately modeling the kayak hull would have proven too difficult, not to mention flows/drags of the hull. We basically took what Hobie owners told us, that a good cruising speed is 3.5mph. We did a rough calculation of the force produced by the Hobie. We then said if we could match this figure, we'd be in good shape. Another reason was that we were unofficially shooting for universiality. Anyone should be able to buy this unit and attach it to most kayaks. I think having to cut two tunnel hulls in their kayaks would be too cumbersome for most owners, but I could be wrong?!
Rik wrote:Has any testing been done on the augers to see how they'll react to normal stuff in the water such weeds, gorilla snot (not the technical term I'm sure but everyone on this forum knows about it), sand, oysters?
The research I've read said that Archimedes screws are advantageous for their debris handling capabilities. However, most enclosed screw setups I've seen are for hydraulic lifting, huge screws at an angle with 2/3 of the tube filled with air. I don't know how being parallel to the ground and totally submerged will change this. Hopefully, with the proper grate/mesh design, it won't be too big an issue.
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Pretty neat concept. I would only suggest to not put too much time and effort in a reversing mechanism as 99% of the time you'll be going forwards.
Reverse is not one of our official goals. But it would be nice. I'm really hoping to make the turning with opposing thrust happen.
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: Instead of a solid mounting bracket as in the pic between the two motors perhaps the design could "swing" both "motors" up to either side of the kayak but not too far as to impede the use of a kayak paddle.
Looking at it closer, perhaps you could move the "motors" to the rear of the kayak. Then, when you pulled "the/a" lever to raise the motors to just above water level, so as to eliminate drag, you wouldn't impede paddling at all.
The plan is to mount the screws just behind the driver. Once finals are done, I plan on finding the 'big idea' on how to mount them and still accommodate everything. It needs to be adjustable without making the driver have to turn 180 around. It also needs to not tear the kayak hull in case of an impact. Lastly, vibration isolation will be key, since we believe a kayak hull is like a speaker box, noise will reverberate.
MrSpectaculous wrote:It would be good to see the props inside the the hull enclosed drawing water thru a tunnel and forcing it out the rear. Also if the drive could be powered by the existing foot pads rather then a set of pedals or wheel. Personall I would rather it be permanantly installed in the kayak so light weight maerials would be a must.
No tunnel hull for us since it would require "designing a kayak" which would've been difficult to do in the time allotted. Initially, we had foot pedals like the Hobie setup, working piston/bellows. The numbers didn't make sense to do this. The reason we went with the unicycle was that we could purchase it as a unit. Although I've never been kayak fishing, I fished off my buddy's 18' flats boat in the St. John's for years. I was going to get into kayak fishing when I decided to go back to school instead. When I suggested this idea to the group, part of my justification was that with gas prices, taxes and the economy, kayak fishing must be reaping the benefits. Also, this if Florida, fishing central. So finding sponsors would be easy. Right? WRONG! Sent out many, many letters. Only a few replies and two companies willing to help us out. So we're basically self-funded, which translates to poor. We're trying to do this the cheapest way possible and still pass the class and have a working product. That's why almost every piece is based on something you can buy off-the-shelf, like a unicycle. :wink:
BigFlyReel wrote:Couple issues:

1) Mentioned before: draft.

2) Steering. Are you planning to use a hand-operated rudder? If so, you want to balance the distance between the screws, both fore-and-aft and spacing from centerline. Assuming direct drive from your illustration, it appears the screws will counter-rotate. Testing those distances, and rudder size/shape, will tell you about rudder flutter and effectiveness in any drive stream eddies, etc.

Instead of feeding the screws power directly from two drives, you could always feed a dual friction transmission that allows you to direct more "power" to one screw or the other, and thereby provide some steering. Very simple mechanically, low maintenance... combine that with the rudder, and you may not need the reversing screw.

BFR
Draft was covered. We're not sure about the rudder. Technically it's not a requirement. However, in our interviews, turning radius was a concern. If we can figure out a way to turn faster than a Hobie (opposing thrust) then it would be a good thing.

The way the drive design stands now, we thought about pushing the caliper from side to side. If you had opposing springs holding it, it would want to return to center every time. This would allow for one screw turning, the other side disengaged. Don't know if this would provide the turning moment for a tight turn? Hopefully, after finals, I'll figure something out that will allow for the opposing thrust with ease of operation.
krash wrote:What about moving the drive mechanism, (an idea I been tossing around for a few years for an electric option), actually up into the rear end of the hull like a JetSkii intake water from directly below into the tube with either a directional output nozzle like a jet ski or fixed with a rudder. The rudder idea leaves out the reverse option, but a gated metal peice like JetBoats use to force the thrust down could be easily added for minimal reverse thrust.

Looking at the current design, I'd wonder if you could actually get good enough bite on the rollers to wheel into the drive cables to get the power transfer towards the screw-drive with out simply twisting the cable itself into a knot.
We stayed away from electric due to cost. We stayed away from jetskis because of the pump nature and the required power and also having to 'tube' a kayak hull. The rollers are planned to provide enough friction to operate the mechanism, but give way under extreme resistance, a safety feature if you will. So you're cruising along and an oyster gets into the blade for whatever reason. It will come to a complete halt, but your feet won't. Rather than snap some component, the roller will just slip. On the cables, we've found a rotary drive cable company that offers cables far above our power/torque requirements, in both directions as well.
Rik wrote:Will the screws create any suction so they could be mounted above the water line?
Not without losing most of the thrust, which in our case is volume related. As mentioned above, they will lift water. However, in those applications, there's not need for pressure at the top. Once the water gets to the top, it gravity feeds to whatever it goes to. Also, when lifting, the volume of water decreases immensely. It then becomes like separate buckets of water being moved.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming. I hope I've answered your questions with minimal confusion. If not, let me know. :D