To rack or not to rack!

Ryanrocksfender

To rack or not to rack!

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Hey everyone, i have recently been debating on getting a roof rack for my car. As of now i use the foam block setup which works fine. In the fall im going to be going to school in Tampa and will be driving the bridge alot more with the kayak. Should i invest in a permanent rack (Yakima or Thule) or keep my soft rack.

Thanks guys!
FrankC

Re: To rack or not to rack!

Post by FrankC »

How secure is the foam block setup? You don't want to take a chance of having the craft separating from your car in traffic for many reasons.

The connection to the front bumper must be very strong at highway speed plus any headwind. Braking works hard on the rear of the boat to rear bumper connections. You also get buffeting from semi's and such which works on the cross tie system. You having used the blocks are in the best position to make the call between the two systems.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Try the Yakima even keel system. Less than 100'for four saddles. I have it on my suv. I used it to go for Atlanta to flamingo in April with no issues what so ever. They lock in place so theft is avoided and set up quickly.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

For the Yakima Even Keel system don't you have to already have a rack system with cross bars?

I think you will be OK with the foam block system as long as you use front and rear tie downs in addition to the straps. A rack would be a better option, but can get expensive. If it were me, I would go with a rack system. Or better yet, just get a new SUV with racks already on it.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

I used to strap my kayak to the top of my camry all the time never had an issue. Drove it to orlando and on 275 all the time. I used to just open the doors and run the straps through the cab and put one to the front bumper. Now I have a truck and don't have to worry. You don't need a roof rack unless you want one.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I have used soft racks on 2 different cars, '91 Honda Accord, and now an '01 civic 2dr for several years, never had an issue.
Check this post

Would a hard rack system be better, perhpaps for loading by sliding the kayak on/off the car sure.. but for travelling I don;t think so.. I hit the hiways for 2 to 3 hour trips and don;t get passed by many. Does the yak move around when passing trucks or in heavy winds ? a little but nothing to worry about. Good tiedowns front and rear keep it on the car, over the top keeps it from sliding side to side.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I'm not a fan of after market racks when you have to drill holes in your roof, just because there will be alot of salt exposure after fishing. I learned that the hard way of course and I will never install another one. Some of these newer systems that don't require drilling would be my suggestion. The one Krash has looks purdy sweet! :thumbright:
Any news on that reel?
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."