Camera Phone

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Camera Phone

Post by jbdba01 »

We were given some new phones for work - a HTC 4G.

It actually has two cameras on it - the forward facing camera for regular shots, and one for self portraits and video conferencing. Pretty cool.

I figured I would test out the camera; it does a decent job for a phone. I probably won't carry a regular camera on the kayak any more. Just need a waterproof housing.

Samples below. This was straight off the camera - no post processing.

Perhaps a polarizing lens would help on that reelection, but it was really intense. The slight pink on the indoor shot can easily be removed.

JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Camera Phone

Post by jbdba01 »

Added a few photos to show how it does on a bright day. Pretty amazing for a phone. This was a high contrast day at 3pm - probably the worst time of day for the photos. You can see the shadow of the canoe, but still make out the details. Again a polarizing lens would help on the reflection from the water, but who the heck carries a polarizing lens for a camera phone.

I took some macro shots of my laptop keyboard and it did OK. Interior shots are kinda grainy even with the flash, but hey...what can you expect. It's a smart phone, not a Canon EOS.

As far as a phone review...that is a totally diff story that probably doesn't below on the forum, I can say it eats up the battery very fast.

As far as cameras on phones this one has been the best one I've had to date. It also has an HD video camera I have yet to test.

Again - no post processing - just raw photos.

Fine Lady Lamont Beached

Fine Lady Lamont Ready to go home

Close Up / Quasi Macro
JB
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Not bad at all for a camera phone. I have to wait until September in order to upgrade my phone.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I used the second camera on the phone - this is the one that is used for doing self portraits and sharing them or video conferencing. For a VERY small lens (I think they call them bullet lens) you can see that it does a good job. I was visiting a friend at Clearwater.

On a personal note I can see the realtime posting being something that would generate some excitement at a fishing tourney. People might sandbag or post the smaller fish and play head games with opponents. Give it 5 years...Personally I don't do the facebook, twitter stuff...I'm connected enough.

Back to the photos, the first shot is 0% zoom, 60% zoom, 100% zoom. At 100% you start to see some pixelation, but still pretty darn good stuff.

The second shot you can see me handling the camera in the glasses. There's a bit of contrast wash in the background, and I did tweak it just a touch in Picasssa (touch of sharpen, crop, and graduated tint), but still ridiculous for a 2nd camera on a phone.

I'm pretty much committed this to be my kayak camera and ordered thisto protect it. I figured for $17 I couldn't go wrong. I've used the DicaPac in the past to 33ft, but I only intent on protecting the camera. I'll probably get some of those silca bags too - another $5 or so.

Zoom - 0%, 60%, 100%

JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

An interesting feature of the phone is that you can tap on the screen to get it to focus on what you want. I didn't know that. I figured it was fixed and you pretty much got what you got.

Since I found this feature I have turned autofocus off, set up the shot, touch on what I want focused and go from there.
JB
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i just got the htc thunderbolt. The battery sucks but the camera is sweet. Nice shots
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

here is the 2 pics i took on mine. Im afraid to take it near the water.

flat tire on the work truck...
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I did buy this protector.

Don't get it for taking photos. The soft plastic blurs the photos. It's fine for protectig the phone though, and you have full access to all the phones features and you can talk on it. Just don't count on decent photos.

I'm giving it to the wife so she can take it to the beach or I may keep it for the stinkpot guest. For $15 it's hard to beat.

The one you'll want will have a hard lens on the front. Fortunatly/unfortunatly I had one from another POS DX Canon that I just recently trashed. I retro fit it for the phone and it is money. All the photos are spot on now and it will float - I used a bit of stirofoam (sp?) to get the camera to stay where the other cameras lens was. So technically I never needed to buy it.

As far as apps go I downloaded predict wind for free. That seems to be the most use for fishing/sailing so far.
JB