An issue with my Olympus camera

americanrobster

An issue with my Olympus camera

Post by americanrobster »

I have the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW digital camera and it just started acting up by draining the battery after I power off the camera. After I power off the camera, the screen flashes like it is starting to come on and then flashes off again, and then on agian. I just sent a request for an estimate to a company called "The Camera Cure" located here in St. Pete. I hope they can fix it for a reasonable price.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Re: An issue with my Olympus camera

Post by mauso1 »

How old is the battery? Try a new one. Ebay under $5 cheap... fix if it works..I rotate the 3 that I have
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
americanrobster

The sad part is that the camera is less than 3 years old and doesn't get used that much. I am taking the camera to a repair shop tommorrow for an estimate.

My dad has the same camera as well and I have tried his battery and the camera does the same thing with my dad's battery installed.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
americanrobster

I dropped off my camera at the repair shop today and I should know something next week.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

well it was worth thr try.. :(
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Ouch...I got through boat cameras about 1 every 2-3 years. I just buy a 2-3 year old camera for $50-75 off of ebay. I'm on my third now. It's a relatively cheap way to upgrade. That's about $25-35/year ($2-3 a month). I always buy canon as the menus are all the same and it's an easy upgrade.

My last canon I dropped and soaked it - after that I was trying to kill it. It still works, but I blew the lcd. It's amazing the abuse it took.

I'm a wuss and don't take my big boy camera (T2i) out in the boat.
JB
americanrobster

jbdba01 wrote:Ouch...I got through boat cameras about 1 every 2-3 years. I just buy a 2-3 year old camera for $50-75 off of ebay. I'm on my third now. It's a relatively cheap way to upgrade. That's about $25-35/year ($2-3 a month). I always buy canon as the menus are all the same and it's an easy upgrade.

My last canon I dropped and soaked it - after that I was trying to kill it. It still works, but I blew the lcd. It's amazing the abuse it took.

I'm with you on not taking the big boy camera out on the boat. I like how easy a small point and shoot camera is out on the kayak.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

americanrobster wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:Ouch...I go through boat cameras about 1 every 2-3 years. I just buy a 2-3 year old camera for $50-75 off of ebay. I'm on my third now. It's a relatively cheap way to upgrade. That's about $25-35/year ($2-3 a month). I always buy canon as the menus are all the same and it's an easy upgrade.

I'm with you on not taking the big boy camera out on the boat. I like how easy a small point and shoot camera is out on the kayak.
One day I'll nut up and take the t2i. I've missed some spectacular nature shots by not having it. More than likely I'll just take my Pro1 (again another ebay special) - it has a 200mm equivalent, but is slow to power up. The autofocus is a bit slow too, but it beats losing my T2i or buying a $1K u/w housing for the beast. That said the Pro1 is designated with an L series lens. It's decent glass, but the technology is 6-8 years old - still it's a great camera. For $200 now it's hard to beat - old technology or not.

Right now I'm on the camera phone bandwagon - I just put it in a dicapac (Water resistant to 33ft.) . Hell, you can even talk on the phone when it is inside the dicapac - how cool is that? Upload it to photobucket, then call ya up..."Hey check out the beast I landed on photobucket. Yeah I know...chicks dig me." :wink:
JB
americanrobster

jbdba01 wrote:
americanrobster wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:Ouch...I go through boat cameras about 1 every 2-3 years. I just buy a 2-3 year old camera for $50-75 off of ebay. I'm on my third now. It's a relatively cheap way to upgrade. That's about $25-35/year ($2-3 a month). I always buy canon as the menus are all the same and it's an easy upgrade.

One day I'll nut up and take the t2i. I've missed some spectacular nature shots by not having it. More than likely I'll just take my Pro1 (again another ebay special) - it has a 200mm equivalent, but is slow to power up. The autofocus is a bit slow too, but it beats losing my T2i or buying a $1K u/w housing for the beast. That said the Pro1 is designated with an L series lens. It's decent glass, but the technology is 6-8 years old - still it's a great camera. For $200 now it's hard to beat - old technology or not.

Right now I'm on the camera phone bandwagon - I just put it in a dicapac (Water resistant to 33ft.) . Hell, you can even talk on the phone when it is inside the dicapac - how cool is that? Upload it to photobucket, then call ya up..."Hey check out the beast I landed on photobucket. Yeah I know...chicks dig me." :wink:
There are times where I wish that I had my dad's Nikon D50 SLR out on the water with me, but I will never take a camera like that out on a kayak.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'