Review - Abu Garcia Spinning Reels

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
TexasDan

Post by TexasDan »

I have really never seen a good Abu Garcia Spinning Reel reviews on here. I have had a few by now and thought I would share my experience with using them. I started out using Abu Garcia spinning reels when I first started fishing salt water. I used the bait casters when I fished for bass back in Texas and loved them. When I moved to Florida I noticed that a lot of guys used spinning reels for salt water fishing. So I bought my first Abu Garcia Spinning Reel Combo at Wal-Mart for $55.00. Not wanting to spend a lot of money to make sure I like salt water fishing. Well my wife regrets I bought it now. As most of you know the spending never stops. It was pretty good combo setup. It only lasted a year due to the fact I did not get the fresh water rinse tip until it was to late. In my opinion Abu Garcia Spinning Reels are one of the best that money can buy to get you on the water quick and cheap.

Reels I Have Owned And Use:

Abu Garcia 102 Cardinal Series
Cost: $34.95
Bearings: 5
Gear Ration: 5.1:1
Spool (Braid): 10lbs. / 125yds is what I have on it
Weight: 9.6 ozs
Review: Great for that fishing guest, for the kids or backup reel for the price. I take 3 setups when I go fishing and this is my 3rd setup.

Abu Garcia 302 Cardinal Series
Cost: $39.95
Bearings: 7
Weight: 9.5 ozs
Review: Also great for that fishing guest, for the kids or backup reel for the price. This was my first salt water reel and it lasted pretty well even with no fresh water. Smooth drag good reel.

Abu Garcia 502 ALBi Cardinal Series
Cost: $69.95
Bearings: 10
Review: I currently use this as my 2nd setup. Smooth drag system, very durable inside and out. I have been using this reel for 2 years now and still works like new. I will eventually replace my 3rd setup with another 502. Love this reel.

Abu Garcia 602 ALB Cardinal Series
Cost: $79.95
Bearings: 7
Review: I bought this reel new on sale for $55.00. I thought I was upgrading my 502 ALBi. I don’t really love this reel. The drag system on the first spool started freezing up just after 2 trips. I changed to the spare spool and that fixed the drag. I still feel that the guts are just not up to par. This one could have been just a lemon. I don’t really know. I would not buy the 602 again.

Abu Garcia Revo Premier PRM20
Cost: $249.95
Bearings: 10
Weight: 7.9 ozs
10 High Performance Corrosion Resistant Bearings (HPCR®)
Instant Anti-Reverse Bearing
Nano-Shield™ Body & Spool
Sealed Carbon Matrix™ Drag
One Piece Aluminum Gear Box
Everlast™ Bail System
Slow Oscillation
Stainless Steel Mainshaft and Hardware
Review: I currently use this as my main top water setup. I have only used this reel twice. The first real test for this reel was the past weekend. It did a great job. I landed a 26 & 28 inch red and a 23 & 30 inch snook. I lost my first snook with it that was around 20 inches trying to figure out this new kind of drag system. It has sealed carbon matrix drag system that is a little different from my current models I own. This reel is nice and light weight so I was able to throw the top water all morning.