21%
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 14
60%
Malibu Extreme
19%

Total votes: 53

Rudeboyelvis

Post by Rudeboyelvis »

t_bare wrote:" you can do as I do and have your rods rigged and just keep on enjoying frosty cold beverages while you troll a line fom spot to spot."

t_bare
Sounds like we have a winner :D

Seriously, I Love my Mirage Outback for many of the same reasons you discribed. I might add that tooling out to your favorite hole at 3-4mph without breaking a sweat doesn't exactly suck either.
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I just got a Malibu Extreme yesterday, and I'm taking it out tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it is.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I know it's the most popular thing going now, but I'm not a real big fan of the Tarpon 140. It is a well thought-out kayak from a layout standpoint, but it definitely has some drawbacks. First of all, the bow plows through the water which makes it a very LOUD yak to paddle compared to an OK Prowler and especially a Tarpon 160. The 160 rides with the first 2+ft of bow out of the water...in relatively calm water, it is super quiet. In contrast, the T160 has worse hull slap than the T140 in a good-sized chop. The T140 also requires scupper plugs or the cockpit floods (unless you're Olive Oil). In addition, the 140 also has way too much freeboard for my liking...I like to be able to stick both feet out the sides and "foot" anchor the yak. Unless you're 6'4, you ain't going to do that in a T140. My top three choices in order would be Tarpon 160, OK Prowler, Perception Bimini.