Leader madness

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Leader madness

Post by DaveR »

Stopped by the local fly shop to buy some leader material and as luck had it he was out of one of the ones I needed so he said try this. Showed me on a small scale how to twist together 8 or 10 lb together and then double the last third over on itself this creating a multi stage leader from one line.. Worked great at his bench but with 40 feet of line it's a major pain in the ass. It does turn over very nicely though. An hour later I had a nice leader but a bit long for kayaking. I imagine after doing a few it will take less time but any pointers out there would be appreciated.
On another note. The tides have been great for my mudding friends but the last 2 nights have been devoid of mudders. They fish are in the neighborhood but just sulking on the bottom. Without doing research this means nothing but I'm guessing the weather changes associated with Irene has put em down. Any like experiences the last couple days?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Re: Leader madness

Post by John »

Yup, the fish are certainly a lot less active up where I'm fishing too, I think the Irene factor has got them hundred down. Baitfish have not been moving the last couple of days also noticed a lot less bird activity too.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton