"Lee" ward side of things...

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

"Lee" ward side of things...

Post by jbdba01 »

Yesterday I managed to get in 3 hours of fishing, but promised my wife that we would go to the beach by 10 am. Couple trout later, I threw in the g12 and U/W case and figured I would get some sunny FL Beach pics.

We got to Pass-a-grille with a steady 15-20mph wind surf was up.

Still under warantee for the G12 and u/w case I figure WTH...I always wanted to know how those surf guys do those shots.

I figured it out...put camera on continuous mode, pre-focus, catch the wave, hold on to camera firmly (regardless attach wrist holder), keep button pushed, catch wave, brace for impact, get pummeled into ground, "rinse, lather, repeat". I won't be needing netipot any time soon. Couple times it felt like it took a long time to get back to the surface.

Lots of trashed photos but a couple came out OK. I was pretty sore this morning though. It was a hoot and would def do it again.

Hero camera guys should give it a whirl. Just make sure you have a good wrist wrap on or you might loose your camera.

All images here - some shots play with scale and the waves look much bigger than they are.

JB
Native Girl

Re: "Lee" ward side of things...

Post by Native Girl »

JB,
That was on the west coast? I thought we only had those kind of waves on the east coast. Nice shots though!
Robbi
Hobie Pro Angler Dune
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

very cool shots
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Yup - West Coast. Nothing like a big ol' storm to get things riled up.

I was in the first set of waves - there were some surfers on the second set, but I didn't want to swim out there and then get yanked out to sea.

I was pretty impressed by the case - it came home with a bunch of sand scratches. The camera did quite nicely too. 99% of those shots were one handed so the camera has to do 100% of the work and fast. Many times I wasn't quite ready and just went with the flow.

The other thing I learned was to pay attention to the waves when fiddling with the controls. When I was changing settings I was beat down once (you learn fast - pain is a good motivator). I should have checked the front of the lens when I shot - I had some drops in some shots. Then again it gives a feel "of being there".

I did goof up in that I only shot a couple photos in RAW vs. jpeg. I think when you switch to program mode it does that automatically.
JB
SpeedBull

Post by SpeedBull »

Very nice pics!