OMG Kings Are Here Again!!! Show me your Smoker blister

Flamingo to Big Bend
shannon

Re: OMG Kings Are Here Again!!! Show me your Smoker blister

Post by shannon »

Alex, and I were targeting Kingfish. I tried in April on the north spring migration only to get broken off and busted lines, leaders, and hooks. This time I was better prepared, and made up some better stinger rigs.

Launch at 7:15. No wind and flat Gulf. He has a cool stand up post and pontoons. See the box of frozen 6” Spanish sardines.
100_0316.JPG
Sunrise at 7:30
100_0319.JPG
We trolled baits for awhile, getting some small sharks and getting some big hits and break offs.
100_0332.JPG
Nice sand sculpture
100_0329.JPG
BINGO! Finally got one. 44" beast.
100_0338.JPG

Here’s why all the break offs, very fast and powerful with razor teeth.
100_0346.JPG
Got many nice fillets, will be grilling and frying the choice cuts, and smoking all the rest for spread.
100_0350.JPG
He hit like a rocket and he took off towards the beach, taking about 100 yards of line and pulling my kayak, then the line went totally dead. I knew he was hooked good, and he just realized he ran out of room and was going to go deep. So I started cranking in line as fast as I could, did not want him to get wrapped around the many crab trap ropes or it was over, and just when I gained on him and the line went tight he was right below the kayak as he went directly under me heading for deep water, he kept taking line and pulling me and I had drag set pretty tight trying to stop him but he took another 100 yards of line right back. Then he came out of the water and made a huge white boil trying to throw the hook, then he started getting tired. I was able to gain and cranked and cranked and my arm was tiring, I yelled at Alex to get the gaff ready and the fish still made a few shorter runs. Finally got him to boat and got him subdued and slid him into front hatch. We tried to get Alex a king but just had more break offs and then bite just stopped. Awesome day, finally got me a big Kingfish!!
Greg

Everybody knows something you don't, learn from them
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

I infer from your post that you were a mile offshore in the gulf. Do you look for wrecks or just drift 1 mile offshore? I would like to try this but fear keeps me inshore.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Great catches guys
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
shannon

Post by shannon »

Maybe a mile, but no more. I estimate we were right at 1/2 to 3/4 mile. I do not use any electronics so I don't know exactly, nor can I find any wrecks or structure. Look at the charts and there are many 15-20 plus foot deep spots off beach and in the bay. I am very very cautious in the Gulf. I always WEAR my PFD, check tides/current, check forecast for 5 to 6 MPH east winds max, and go real early while calm, and I always have a buddy with me just in case. I just put a line out and paddle real slow in the target area. And chop up some bait and toss out a chunk and troll through it.
Greg

Everybody knows something you don't, learn from them
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Very very nice catch.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
taekwondo

Post by taekwondo »

The king is a beauty. Congrats on your well earned trophy. I want to try it sometime.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Worthy of Sunday Night Fishfry! Nice Job!!
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
taekwondo

Post by taekwondo »

Make some Rum Runners!!
CaptainCalf wrote:
taekwondo wrote:make yourself a hawaiian spear then you can both gaff him and kill him when he comes close to the boat.
True and I could make a couple of Hawaiian drinks while I'm at it:)
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

taekwondo wrote:Make some Rum Runners!!
That's Cool-Aide for adults!

Count me in :mrgreen:
"You have to train hard and rest hard to go your fastest." anonymous
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Excellent, great story too. :thumbright: