Brine Turkey

JoeS

Brine Turkey

Post by JoeS »

I am debating weather to brine my turkey or not......any thoughts are welcome.....I have heard both sides some say it is too salty no matter how much you wash the bird after you brine it....some say it is the best turkey ever, some say it takes on the flavor of the brine.....ect ect.....Oh I will be using my Orion Cooker http://www.theorioncooker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mark R

Re: Brine Turkey

Post by Mark R »

I always brine, some times with cure. My favorite is from Vlap. I don't think he'll mind. I use this for smoking and baking turkey also. Oh t is teaspoon, T is tablespoon.

Vlaps Turkey Brine

2g Water
1 1/2lb Salt
1c Sugar
2t Bayleaf
2t Dry Thyme
2t Peppercorns
2t Juniper Berries
2t Basil (Dry)
2t Ginger (Dry)
2t Marjoram (Dry)
2t Sage

Boil ingredients for 3 min and cool. Brine turkey for 12-24 hours.

heat the oil to about 325°F and no higher than 350°F.

Fry three minutes per pound to cook. Remove turkey and check the temperature with a meat thermometer. The temperature should reach 170° F. in the breast and 180° F. in the thigh.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Thanks Mark............
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I used this one last year and it was great. A little salty but still good. I'm going to cut this one down to 3/4 lb salt.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey