Do you Stand in your Kayak while fishing ?

John
Guv'ner

Re: Do you Stand in your Kayak while fishing ?

Post by John »

Think about it, almost every flats guide out there uses a Poling platform, because being higher up gives an advantage. I see and catch plenty of fish, before they see me.
I keep journals, since switching back to a canoe I have consistently caught more fish than when I was fishing from the Ultimate, which I rarely stood in.

It's not always about seeing the actual fish, many times it seeing, movement of bait, nervous water, transitions in bottom structure, all of which are much easier to see when standing.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Sully

Post by Sully »

Ultimate 14.5 and stand in it easily. When I'm in the T160 though I have to wade more because standing in it is too much of a challenge.
TRUE
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I have a 14' Mohawk solo canoe that I stand in and fish.....when I fly fish I will put the Training wheels(stabilizers) on and can actually walk around in my canoe........I have a 18' bamboo pole(Old School) for poling but hardly use it....I just use my paddle......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote: I extended a canoe paddle to about 7' and it works nicely. The only problem is storing it when not using it. Wish they made a stand up paddleboard paddle that broke down into 2 pieces and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Rik, get yourself a full blade kayak paddle and send it to the company that made it and ask for an extension.

I sent a 210 Aquabound back to them to make me an extensioni to 230. Fits like a glove. You can't tell it's now a three piece paddle. And, I can take the extension out and it goes back to 210 if I need it.

When you order the extension, order the T-handle. Tell the company what you're doing.

I think Aquabound only charged me $25 plus shipping. Quick service too from Aquabound.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Don't know how much you want to pay but here's an Aquabound 7 breakdown paddle for $158.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Breakdown-Stand-Up-Paddles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll to the bottom or click here for only the Aquabound Odyssey

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Aqua-Bound-O ... gory=75882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You choose the length between 76 and 86 inches.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
backinthemangle

Post by backinthemangle »

22acrowd wrote:Generally, when you see a fish standing in a kayak, they have already seen you.
Dude, if you are seeing fish standing in kayaks, you are WAY too close to the nuke plant.

:shock: :cyclopsani: :cool:
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Ultimate 12. Fishing the flats I stand a lot. I have my seat resting on the gunwales.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

John wrote:Think about it, almost every flats guide out there uses a Poling platform, because being higher up gives an advantage. I see and catch plenty of fish, before they see me.
I keep journals, since switching back to a canoe I have consistently caught more fish than when I was fishing from the Ultimate, which I rarely stood in.

It's not always about seeing the actual fish, many times it seeing, movement of bait, nervous water, transitions in bottom structure, all of which are much easier to see when standing.
I agree.. and have spent many hour's on the platform myself, so I'm not worried about the fish seeing me first, if they do and they spook at least you saw them.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Nine time out of ten...if you see me...Im standing. I started standing with my first Native 12 and not sure I could ever own a boat I couldn't stand in anymore. I recently sold my 14.5 Native and so I am looking around to see what else is available.
Today in the PFTS I was fortunate enough to be able to fish one of the new Jackson Cudas. It is a 14fter. Very well laid out and you can tell whoever designed it...was a fisherman. Lots of places to put your stuff with a small hatch in the back, a larger one in the front and one in the middle between your legs that is large enough to put a 40" measuring board along with my camera case and a small lunch cooler. The seat is very Native-esq in both design and comfort. You also have the option of having it low like a conventional sit on top or raising it to gunnel height. I fished it all day in the raised position and never felt tippy...even when the wind and the chop picked up. It has a strap to assist you for standing if you need it...the floor is flat and comfortable. Once I figured out where to keep my feet I felt very confident. While it is not terribly fast, my Native wasn't either, and it seemed to track very well. Unless your one of those guys who can stand on a rail, your going to have to compromise some of your speed for stability. I will be seriously considering buying one of these Cudas. Thanks again to Steve (Shallowpockets) for bringing his extra boats along for Rik and I to try out.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Norm wrote:Nine time out of ten...if you see me...Im standing. I started standing with my first Native 12 and not sure I could ever own a boat I couldn't stand in anymore. I recently sold my 14.5 Native and so I am looking around to see what else is available.
Today in the PFTS I was fortunate enough to be able to fish one of the new Jackson Cudas. It is a 14fter. Very well laid out and you can tell whoever designed it...was a fisherman. Lots of places to put your stuff with a small hatch in the back, a larger one in the front and one in the middle between your legs that is large enough to put a 40" measuring board along with my camera case and a small lunch cooler. The seat is very Native-esq in both design and comfort. You also have the option of having it low like a conventional sit on top or raising it to gunnel height. I fished it all day in the raised position and never felt tippy...even when the wind and the chop picked up. It has a strap to assist you for standing if you need it...the floor is flat and comfortable. Once I figured out where to keep my feet I felt very confident. While it is not terribly fast, my Native wasn't either, and it seemed to track very well. Unless your one of those guys who can stand on a rail, your going to have to compromise some of your speed for stability. I will be seriously considering buying one of these Cudas. Thanks again to Steve (Shallowpockets) for bringing his extra boats along for Rik and I to try out.
You were standing?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

krash wrote:
Heywood wrote:Yes, all the time. Been doing it for years. Malibu Stealth 14. Very stable. Ask anyone who has fished with me.

Now, here is my take on standing. The fish can see you standing well before you see them. Countless times I have seen fish scoot away well before I see them. Mullet especially. They have tremendous eyesight. When you spook them, you spook everything else. But on the other hand, I've caught fish that I would have never seen sitting down. So there is a little bit of a trade off.

Heywood, you ever try the M-Stealth 12 ?

Hows it compare to the 14 ?

Malibu Stealth must be good you seldom see a used one for sale...

Yes, I have a Stealth 12 also. Nice kayak, for me though, not as stable as the 14. But I'm a big guy. My son uses it and has no problem standing.

Another thing about standing, I believe you can make longer cast's, as you have a bit more range of motion.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

I am 6'2 and 310 pounds and I cannot stand up in my Heritage Redfish 14, but I did try out a WS Commander 120 and stood right up just fine, but I'll wait to lose some more weight and get better with my balance before I start fishing from it while standing.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
clwpaddler

Post by clwpaddler »

Unless I am moving to or from a fishing area, I stand. Commander 120 is very stable and I made an 8' paddle out of western red cedar and can either paddle or pole, I stow it like a pole on the opposite side from my anchor trolly. I only fly fish and standing makes for a much better presentation whether blind casting or site fishing.

Woody
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
shallowfly

Post by shallowfly »

Native 12 have owned only a few months now. Stand and fly fish or arti with spin gear for as long as I want. Awesome water craft for fishing.
redfish

Post by redfish »

Yup stand up in my old Tarpon 140s and 120s now I stand in my Ride 135 with no problems
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods