What size line/ rod for tarpon?

tarpontide

What size line/ rod for tarpon?

Post by tarpontide »

My brother and I are building an entry level tarpon rod. We are getting so much DIFFERENT advice on this subject.

We have started with a "raffle won" Orvis Battenkill large arbor V reel. The weight classes according to Orvis's web page are 9-11 but the following chart also references WF12F line with gel spun backing.

The question is what size rod/line should we purchase for this set up? Some are insisiting on a 10wt while other are saying a 12 wt. Why is no one recommending an 11wt other than they are harder to find? Most of the folks asked want to know what size tarpon we are targeting and my general reply is "the size that swims within casting distance on the beaches".

Others speak of the importance of 200-300 yds of backing. I conventionally fish for tarpon and I have never met an angler who lets a fish get 3 football fields away, so I don't necessarily buy into the 200-300yds of backing needed. I do realize line comes off a fly reel alot faster than a conventional reel and goes back on a lot slower.

We would like to hear from the tarpon guys on this.

The following is from the Orvis Webpage:
Model: Orvis Batenkill BK LA V
Line:9-11
Diameter: 4 1/4"
Weight: 8.3 oz.
W/ 30-lb Dacron
WF9F:250 yds
WF10F:225 yds
WF11F:200 yds
w/ 35-lb Gel Spun
WF10F:350
WF11F:325
WF12F:300
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: What size line/ rod for tarpon?

Post by BearsFan »

I think building a tarpon setup around an entry level reel won at an auction is a mistake. That reel is better suited on a 10wt being used for redfish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

You will get lots of different responses, I suspect ....

Just last weekend, I was fishing with a guide for laid-up tarpon in the 80-140 lb class. The guide said we could use our 8wts!! I was a little shocked. He said the fish will never get that far from the boat, so no need for all the backing, etc. Also if kept in shallow water, they will run and jump to exhaustion much faster than if they can get to deeper water.

Still, I would think for bigger fish a 10wt is where you'd want to start (for smaller fish) and go up from there, especially if fishing in deeper water.

AP
Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......
Evan

Post by Evan »

Here's an idea: just buy a flyrod and try it out. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't work, sell it or trade it and get a different one. It's not like you're limited to owning just one "perfect" tarpon rod. The only way to really know if something works is to try it.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
tarpontide

Post by tarpontide »

Thanks AP.

Got the same advice (10wt) last night from a few fly fishing guides and others (including a several times over world record holder - on fly) at the Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Club meeting. It was our first time and we really enjoyed ourselves.

I was worried about the quality of the Orvis reel due to the previoius post but the group assured me this reel, while not a top quality reel, was far and above what they caught tarpon on in the 80's and early 90's and was certainly adequate for most tarpon.
tarpontide

Post by tarpontide »

Thanks Evan.

Kevin & I (Ron) were going to reach out to you with this question too. Hope things are well with you.
Evan

Post by Evan »

tarpontide wrote:Thanks Evan.

Kevin & I (Ron) were going to reach out to you with this question too. Hope things are well with you.
Hey Ron! Didn't realize that was you! Things are great down here...one of these days you and Kevin will have to come down here to SRQ and we can chase some Tarpon together. I've got a 10wt and a couple of 12wts we can try with your reel to see if you like one better than the other. Just remember that your rig doesn't have to be perfect to be fun.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion