This or that? Advice wanted on purchase.

Spikex

This or that? Advice wanted on purchase.

Post by Spikex »

Greetings, I am interested in purchasing my second kayak, first sit on top 'angler' kayak. My first kayak was a sit in style I used in creeks and rivers in Tennessee, my sot kayak will be for offshore/salt water fishing. Having not alot of experience I was looking at purchasing a used kayak and looking on craigslist I found the 3 (following) kayaks. based on the info what would be my "best bet"?

Hobie Quest 13 w/ 2 pfd's, scupper plugs, hobie paddle, hobie seat, cuda fish finder already installed, a battery to power the fish finder. -750$

Ascend FS12 (basspro) w/ paddle, life jacket, 3 rod holders, milk crate, mushroom anchor, and pad eyes installed for tie downs. -500$

Pelican Castaway 116 w/ paddle -450$.

I have read/heard bad things about the pelican, and I have heard unless its a pedal boat then the Hobie's are over priced. What would be the best-bag-for-my-buck? (IYO)
Thanks in advance, Phil.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: This or that? Advice wanted on purchase.

Post by Norm »

I vote for the Hobie Quest...not a pedal boat but have heard excellent reviews from those who have owned them. If I'm off shore, I am not going to want to be sitting in some cut rate Bass Pro boat. Hobie's are a quality built boat and reliability would never be questioned.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

what Norm said the Hobie looks like the best deal of the 3 but...
What would be the best-bag-for-my-buck? (IYO)
Two things to consider as best bang for buck.
A. How many bucks can you afford
B. If you don't like what you buy you gotta sell it to uprade somethimg better..in other words since it looks like these are used boats why are they selling them?

It has been said a thousand times here ..paddle one before you buy it.
Last edited by mauso1 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
backinthemangle

Post by backinthemangle »

x3.

And go over ANY used boat with a fine-toothed comb, and then paddle it, and THEN pay.