Moving to Tampa

Mike Hodge

Re: Moving to Tampa

Post by Mike Hodge »

John: Appreciate the confirmation.
We've got some low tides coming middle of next week; if the wind will cooperate (not likely looking at the forecast), I will try to execute the get-out-and-wade strategy as opposed to staying glued to the kayak seat.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge wrote:John: Appreciate the confirmation.
We've got some low tides coming middle of next week; if the wind will cooperate (not likely looking at the forecast), I will try to execute the get-out-and-wade strategy as opposed to staying glued to the kayak seat.
Got back after it again at 4th Street. A handful of trout, ladyfish and a fiesty jack. No Reds. Fished hard. Didn't see many at all. Strange. Good moving tide. Just not in the cards.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Went to Weedon last Monday. Too much water. Had a 1.4 low with a high of 1.6. Went to Honeymoon for beach snook and redemption. No snook yet, but I hear they're in Sarasota on the beaches, so hopefully that's a good sign for us.
Didn't bring the yak, but I will next time. Great looking water. Clean, clear and skinny -- and lot's of it. Only bad part is the traffic. There's no easy way to get to Dunedin/Honeymoon from S. Tampa. But I like the water, looks ideal for sight fishing (minus the jet skiers that buzz past the channel markers).
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

If you're in South Tampa, you should explore Picnic Island, some excellent Redfish opportunities there, especially with a kayak.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

John wrote:If you're in South Tampa, you should explore Picnic Island, some excellent Redfish opportunities there, especially with a kayak.
Yeah, I should. Fished Legion Flats several times. Fished Picnic Island once, but didn't really venture beyond the flat that PI Creek flows into. I should have gone farther South --- on to the flats or into the mangroves if it was windy. I'll give it another shot.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge wrote:
John wrote:If you're in South Tampa, you should explore Picnic Island, some excellent Redfish opportunities there, especially with a kayak.
Yeah, I should. Fished Legion Flats several times. Fished Picnic Island once, but didn't really venture beyond the flat that PI Creek flows into. I should have gone farther South --- on to the flats or into the mangroves if it was windy. I'll give it another shot.
John: To follow up either further. I fished fairly open water that day PI. Same thing when I tried Legion Flats a couple times. I need to get off the beaten path a little bit, particularly at PI. I'm sort of handicapping myself, by being conservative. One of the advantages of a yak is we can get in water boats can't. PI's got some nice creeks and cuts to the South I need to look at.
One of my biggest obstacles is finding consistent stretches of real skinny water, knee deep and below. Well, I've now learned it's not always on the first flat you find.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yep, those flats to the south are where I am talking about, when you're scouting look for grass and sand, that's prime redfish bottom, then its a matter of finding them in there at the right time, for tailers.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton