Smoked Bonito Fish Dip (Oh Yes I Did)

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Smoked Bonito Fish Dip (Oh Yes I Did)

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Seems to be more than a bit of controversy as to whether or not civilized humans should consume Bonito, but I seem to remember enjoying some smoked Bonito when I first moved to Florida many moons ago.

This lil 20 pounder was gut hooked and destined to be crab food so the experiment was on.

Bleed him at the beach and got him on ice right away. Took my time filleting him like a tuna (two fillets per side) and noticed some cartilage "ribs" between the upper and lower fillets. Took some time to cut around, but the fish still yielded plenty of meat. Next time, I will steak him.

Made a brine of sea salt, soy sauce, fresh ginger, and brown sugar. Nice little 6 hour bath and then on to the smoker. I reserved the two tenderloins and left them in the brine overnight. Smoked the smaller fillets for an hour and 15 minutes they came off nice and juicy with a lovely flake:

These would be used for fish dip

The tenderloins went on the next day for an hour and a half. The little rectangular pieces are chunks of ginger from the brine:

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at the results. A fish dip to rival any Kingfish dip I've ever made and a restaurant quality tenderloin. I'd do it again in a second.

Now let's talk about rudders...

UT
Please, call me Kate
Mark R

Re: Smoked Bonito Fish Dip (Oh Yes I Did)

Post by Mark R »

Very cool Tommy! We used to cook them years ago. Always real fresh, bled and brined. Memory is they were real good, fresh!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
beyondhelp

Re: Smoked Bonito Fish Dip (Oh Yes I Did)

Post by beyondhelp »

My Mom said she used to eat them all the time when she was a kid. (lived in Fla since 1940 something) Bleed them right away and soak them in buttermilk was her suggestion.

I'm going to try it if I ever get the chance.