Tarpon Flies

gks0409

Tarpon Flies

Post by gks0409 »

Can anyone recommend some good flies for tarpon and snook. Making a trip over to the indian river in a couple weeks. Hoping to target some small juvies since all I have is an 8wt.
Rik

Tarpon Flies

Post by Rik »

Not really a fly guy but I've watched a couple guys have success with 'toad' patterns
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Tarpon Flies

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Tied up a few of these for a swap once. Pretty easy tie. Haven't fished them but the author seems to like them a lot.

http://www.stripstrikecharters.com/inhaler.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As excerpt: "This fly is my favorite fly to throw at baby tarpon on dark or blotchy bottom. I've also caught many large tarpon on the Inhaler in the Islamorada backcountry as well. A quick tap retrieve is best. For baby tarpon tie this fly on 34007 1/0 stainless hook and for large tarpon tie on a Mustad 3407SS 2/0 or 3/0".
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I actually tied mine with two Zonkers that I Super Glued together skin to skin. I did this to prevent the zonker from fouling the hook.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

thanks guys
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use tarpon toads and tarpon bunnies mostly although baby tarpon will hit a number of baitfish, shrimp and crab immitations.

For snook, I use white or chartruese schminnows or white DT Specials. One fly that is particularly fun is a white or chartruese gurgler. The surface strike is spectacular.

You also need some redfish flies. My favorite is a Kwan although a gold spoonfly can be effective also.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

For small snook and tarpon, nothing beat the excitement of the topwater strike of a gurgler or deerhair slider. If they aren't aggressive on top, I like to throw something like a Puglisi Everglades Minnow. That fly is absolutely deadly.
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

thanks guys went over to Tampa Bay on the Fly today and picked up some toads