Split Ring Pliers/Tool ??

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Split Ring Pliers/Tool ??

Post by krash »

What do you guys use and like for working with split rings ?

I have a pair that really suck, they are stainless long nose looking multipurpose pliers, work great as long nose pliers for yanking hooks, not good at all for cutting braid or even momo, and not so good for squashing barbs, and unless I am just not using them correctly for removing and replacing hooks on lures.
I've only been fishing for 50+ years, usually deal with the split rings with a thumb/fingernail and needle nose pliers, and contorted hand and wrist action.. have ended up with more than 1 hook in my finger, thumb, or plam along the way.

Is there a how to link somewhere ?
Last edited by krash on Sun May 13, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Split Ring Pliers/Tool ??

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I have a pair of pliers for split rings and that is ALL they are for. Cheap pair but they work great!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

krash wrote: I've only been fishing for 50+ years, ...
Had NO idea you were that old. :)
GIL

Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

These are the "bee's knees" Sandy!

Calcutta Split Ring Pliers

Super sharp and functional for our light tackle rings. :cool:
Russ
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I'm only 62, don't remember the actual start date, but as long as I can remember I lived on the water and was fishing, got my own boat for my 12th b-day, a sewwt little 10' wooden pram style boat with w 6.5hp Wizzard.

Them Calcutta's look amazingly similar to the ones I have cept mine may say brand X somewhere and the ring tooth is rather rounded, maybe they just freaking worn out.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

Look for a pair in a good hardware store. Mine don't do anything but open split rings. They are way cheaper than something you'll find in a fishing supply store.
3bn

Post by 3bn »

Look at Texas Tackle Split-Ring Pliers, the splitter point rest on the pliers not past the end which turns the split ring sideways on most split ring pliers. They come in two sizes, I use the small ones for bass to inshore size tackle. I bought mine from Cabela’s.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Texas-Ta ... l+Products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

krash wrote: I'm only 62, don't remember the actual start date, but as long as I can remember I lived on the water and was fishing, got my own boat for my 12th b-day, a sewwt little 10' wooden pram style boat with w 6.5hp Wizzard.
Jus messin' wit ya. Right behind you ... pushing 61 myself. :)
GIL

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
krash wrote: I'm only 62, don't remember the actual start date, but as long as I can remember I lived on the water and was fishing, got my own boat for my 12th b-day, a sewwt little 10' wooden pram style boat with w 6.5hp Wizzard.
Old Farts! :thumbright:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Whats wrong with Amerika, it's Us the consumer

Went shopping for a new pair of split ring pliers and the mass merchandise big box companies have what Amerika wants.. cheap.
All these years we all been shopping and trying to save a buck or two, the big box stores are shopping for the biggest bang for their buck at the expense of quality and Mom & Pop...
The big suppliers of good stuff like Rapala decide to branch out form doing what they do best, making lures, and the marketing gurus saya oh look we could get some elCheap tools made some place, put our name on them, blister package and sell in quantity to the big box companies.

So I stop by BassPro/Outdoor world.. all I find in the tools area, fly shop, fresh water and salt water section is crap. Blister packed Rapala, Berkley, and XPS.. but nothing of quality.
Head off to Sports Authority & Dicks.. same same Rapala, Berkley, and Field & Stream.. crap
Wally-Mart .. Rapala and new Mustad mass merchandise'd packaged stuff.

The Home Depot and Lowes put all the local lumber and hardware shops OOB. WallyMart put a hurting on everything however they used to have a somewhat decent fishing department but a couple years ago that changed to all crap. BassPor, Sports Auth, and Dicks has put a hurting on most of the local Mom & Pop sports goods stores including Bait & Tackle shops.

TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

my best friends father is an inventor.....he makes fishing tools and stuff....he has an amazing line/wire/hook cutter that is top notch....very hard to get marketed....has a company that is selling his stuff and just hasnt taken off....people want cheep.

here is an example of one of his tools...

http://www.innovativefishingtackle.com/Tri-shear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

damn things cut anything that fits in the cutting grove...i used to once to cut off the barb of a gut hooked bass...just worked out the rest of the hook easy as you please....

another tool for you big game guys...

http://www.innovativefishingtackle.com/ ... ankie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Those Tri-Shears are quite an impressive tool, certainly now mass merchandising big box store material, but don't solve the split ring plier tool problem.

I used to know a guy, Matt, who worked at that B&T wrapping rods. They did some sweet custom work.

Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
krash wrote:
I'm only 62, don't remember the actual start date, but as long as I can remember I lived on the water and was fishing, got my own boat for my 12th b-day, a sewwt little 10' wooden pram style boat with w 6.5hp Wizzard.

Youngsters,,,, :D

Pushin 72.....
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Fishaddict wrote:
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
krash wrote:

Pushin 72.....
:mrgreen:
GIL

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
Fishaddict wrote:
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
krash wrote:

Pushin 72.....
:mrgreen:
I thought I was the Oldest Curmudgeon here at 66.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

I just hit 74 last month.