Perico Bayou - 07/01/2012

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Perico Bayou - 07/01/2012

Post by jbdba01 »

Executive Summary
Winds 0-5, temp 85, water temp low to mid 80's, 6-8 reds, and 1 trout. One big ol' something we'll never know what it was.

Details
I loaded up the family and moved to Anna Maria for the week of July 4th. On 7/1 I hit Perico Bayou - one of many sites for famed PFTS #5.

Last time I was skunked, but thanks to some recon and some advice from our fearless leaders/moderators from that trip I was able to get on fish this time. I was greeted with a beautiful sunrise some no-see-ums and a bit of heat. Classic Florida summer weather. Tropical Depression Debbie had stirred up the waters enough to make the weeds a hassle, but after a while I was able to get on some fish.

I found a billion mullet all scattered so it was going to be an interesting morning; using my trinity of go-to lures I had used at Bishops a week or so ago (mirodine, firefly plastics, and aquadream gold spoon) I fished the eastern side of the mangroves. I managed to get a shortstrike on the sppon, so I knew that they were around. I've always found it a mystery on how they shortstrike a gold spoon. Couple few more casts later I managed to get on this guy.

With the skunk off the boat I was feeling that the trip was already worthwhile and settled in for a bit of eco-tourism and paddled out towards the island in the middle. With several spoonbills, pelicans, and storks on the island it smelt like a rookery should.

Regardless I took a couple photos of the island and birds...

With the incoming tide I saw some water action around the power lines and managed to snipe another red. This guy had the same pattern - short strike and on cast number two hammer the spoon. Seemed the spoon around 10/11 am was the ticket.

Fishing the western side now I saw some good mullet action and put the camera away and decided to switch to the riptide firefly pattern. I picked up a trout, but it being small and seeing more action in the water I skipped the photo. I cast again and hooked up on a decent red. In relatively open water I didn't bother throwing out anchor. Reeling him in I saw that a second red was trying to get to the plastic lure and kept swiping at the mouth of the red. The second red was a bit bigger and gave me the grand idea of going for two reds. Nearing boatside I was trying to figure out how to get a cast off and realized that effort wasn't going to happen. I grabbed my second rod with the Aquadream spoon on it and tried to jig it near red #1. Red #2 took a swipe at the spon and missed. On the second pass he didn't miss - course this was close enough to red number #1 that red #1 took off. With red #1 on the starboard side and red #2 on the port side the Perico Bayou sleigh ride was on - I needed a third hand to cast off anchor, but that sure as hell wasn't going to happen.

Heading for open water (and feeling a bit like Aquaman) I was being pulled back towards the island. Both fish seemed perfectly content pulling about 15 degrees off the bow, and there wasn't much to do but hang on. After a while red #1 was pretty worn out and I managed to take that rod and just put it between my legs and hang on. Red #2 eventually came around and threw in the towel. I knew I had to get a picture of this, but it was a bit off work. I held both rods with my right hand and shot the photos lefty (not my good hand). Fortunately everything worked out and I manged to get this photo.

Laughing out loudly for several minutes, I measured the "girls" out and they were sent back to grow up a bit more.

I laughed some more about the situation and after a while I decided to call it a day. I hit the beach had several brews and brought the family up to speed on the double hook up.

I took a couple more photos, had several rounds of beer, and rounded out the day with a great sunset.

Last edited by jbdba01 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JB
hulkman1

Re: Perico Bayou - 07/01/2012

Post by hulkman1 »

Wow ..great fish ...and pics...what a good time
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Looks like a great time inspite of the looming weateher. Awesome pictures, great post.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Always enjoy your reports.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

fishshooter99 wrote:Looks like a great time inspite of the looming weateher. Awesome pictures, great post.
It was a hoot; the double hook up was something I've never done. Normally the second fish sees the boat and takes off; the second guy was really in a frenzy. I think he even pulled the plastic off the hook, and came back for the spoon.

I left out the part about the bigger fish towards the opening of the bayou. Whatever it was was peeling drag pretty aggressively on my "bigger" rod (a 3000 series reel on a M action rod). I suspect it was a really big red or a jack. I hooked it on a Mirodine; I've hooked a bunch of fish not in the mouth using that lure. So I suspect it pulled from the skin.
JB
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Nice work! Perico is such an awesome place.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
rockfordhx

Post by rockfordhx »

Pretty new to the forum, very nice report jbdba01!!

Completely off topic, I noticed from your avitar that you have WileyX sunglasses. My polarized Arnette sunglasses are finally dead and was just about to buy either Costas, Keonons or WileyX's.

Have you tried the others? How are your WX's holding up?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

rockfordhx wrote:Pretty new to the forum, very nice report jbdba01!!

Completely off topic, I noticed from your avitar that you have WileyX sunglasses. My polarized Arnette sunglasses are finally dead and was just about to buy either Costas, Keonons or WileyX's.

Have you tried the others? How are your WX's holding up?
This thread gives a good overview of Rx sunglasses. I like mine.

The frame itself has held up pretty nicely; I did just notice that the rubber nose piece is getting loose again. That's 2 in 6 years - may have to take that with a grain of salt though. The glasses get abused - between yard work, fishing, jogging, swimming...

I've only used WXs - so I can't compare to others. I guess the key is that I can wear them all day.

My relatives swear by Maui Jim's, but the ones they like are about $300.
JB
rockfordhx

Post by rockfordhx »

Much appreciated jbdba01!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I just plunged on a set of Maui's first time I have bought expensive prescription polarized, got the no line bi-focal and after I picked myself up off the floor when i saw the price, I made the purchase.
They arrive next week, can't wait to try them out against my old, cheapo prescription polarized to see if they were worth the $700 :pukeright: :pukeleft: price tag.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

John wrote:I just plunged on a set of Maui's first time I have bought expensive prescription polarized, got the no line bi-focal and after I picked myself up off the floor when i saw the price, I made the purchase.
They arrive next week, can't wait to try them out against my old, cheapo prescription polarized to see if they were worth the $700 :pukeright: :pukeleft: price tag.
"Dang Gina"...you need to win some PFTs to pay that stuff off.
JB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Hopefully they will be worth the money!!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Holy Shizit, worth every penny the difference is unbelievable, I am a convert!