perico bayou 7/14/12

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

perico bayou 7/14/12

Post by fishshooter99 »

Many thanks to jbdba01's report. Went out Sunday at sunrise to fish the incomming tide at Perico bayou. There were huge schools of mullets working the grass. I started off early with a Sabiles Still shad. After casting about 999 times then removing grass from fouled hooks about 1001 times I transitioned to asoft plastic with a paddle tail behind a white 1/4 oz jig head. I saw something good busting the edges of one of the schools of mullet. After a stealthy coast in I made a cast accross the middle of the school and began retrieving the lure. About half way though the school the rod bent over and the drag screamed. A little while later I had a 267/8 red on board. Not only was he fun to catch....he was in the slot. Last night he made a great meal!
We will be staying on Holmes beach for the week, so I'm hoping the luck continues.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: perico bayou 7/14/12

Post by jbdba01 »

Nicely done...

When I was there even my weedless stuff wasn't weedless. :evil: Se la vi...
JB
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

You can find little areas over there where the grass isn't so bad. Love that spot.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

You can find little areas over there where the grass isn't so bad. Love that spot. You can find little areas over there where the grass isn't so bad. Love that spot.
I went back yesterday afternoon,trying to avoid the rain. I started cocentraiting on the edges of portholes in the grass. Caught one small trout
and then came a flood of biblical praportions. Putting the kayaks back on top of a honda pilot when it is raining so hard you cant see is a little bit of a challenge. In the end, there was no external place on me that wasn’t drenched and I'm not sure about some of the internal spots :oops:
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia