Remembering CooknFish

TerryW

Remembering CooknFish

Post by TerryW »

It is truly rare that I don't think of Mark when I fish a negative low tide or even just see one from the road. Oh, those potholes, they are certainly holding fish..........

Some years ago, I assume on this forum, I complained about those dang negative lows. I had trouble fishing them, hated them. The Cook set me straight! He told me how he loved those tides for finding redfish. It didn’t take me long to come around and LOVE those tides because of his spot on advice.

And I've chuckled over the years when I've seen The Cook post additional commentary about fishing those extra low tides. It would go something like this ... “I took a buddy fishing. The tide was very low and still falling... We moved in toward the potholes.” The fishing buddy would then ask if they were shallow enough. Mark would reply “No, not yet.”

Mark had the fishing wisdom of people far, far older than him. What is your CooknFish story?
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Remembering CooknFish

Post by Norm »

Mark gave me a very nice Spideyman Rod n Reel setup that was so thoughtful in my time of need :lol:

Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

LOL, I remember that Norm. Mark got up in front of eveyone at the DOA and made a big speech. :lol:

Terry, I know full well how he felt about those low tides. We went out to Picnic Island one day, blowing cold, skinny water. He was all bundled up and niether of us were catching much. He snapped this picture of me "Hillbilly Handfishing" this poor beat up redfish.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I was introduced to Mark at a fishing club on the south side of Tampa. At the time all I wanted to do was catch Tarpon in my stinkpot and chuck bait. I remember him saying that he had the hardest time just sittin' there waiting for a bite. At the time I didn't really understand what he meant.

Couple more meetings later I figured out pretty quickly that Mark knew how to fish - and he was not only pretty hard core about it but really good. Being a dumb freshwater redneck from GA I figured I would start to pick this guys brain and hope that I could get some pointers. Fortunately Mark was pretty liberal about his knowledge - mind you he would tell you how to fish and a general area, but being a good fisherman he wasn't about to give away his honey holes.

Over the next several years we would meet up and after a while I found that our worlds were colliding more and more - fishing seminars, tournaments...he was always willing to pass along what he had done that day and what technique. Most of the time he was in the winner's circle. Typically I was nowhere near winning, but I was getting better.

Fast forward a year or so of improving my skills and listening to Mark about techniques, tides, lures, and I ended up being lucky enough to win a PFTS. For a change I remember him asking me, "So...how did you do it?" I said," Man, all I did was do what you told me to." It was true, all I did was employ the techniques that he recommended and I even bought the gear he recommended.

At that same event and using my newly found cash winnings from the tourney I invited some folks for free beer and what not - some stayed some didn't. Mark stayed. He and I bs'ed a bunch more and ordered a couple more cold adult beverages. Somewhere along the lines he said, "So...the student has become the master." I didn't know what to say - he was grinning ear to ear. Here's a guy who can outfish me any day of the week giving me a great compliment. That totally made my day.

Funny thing now is I hear the same fishing things he told me being passed to my son and daughter. "Look for the pot holes, fish around those mullet, look for moving water, change your retrieve, cast way out there..."

I'll miss him for sure.
JB
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I enjoyed our trips together, RIP my friend.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

In nearly 25 years of traveling the world, a finer gentlemen I have never found. Mark was the quiet voice of reason that we all wish we could have more of. He always had spot-on advice and a kind word to share - something I will always try and emulate.

Farewell my friend - tight lines.

“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I can't pin point the first time I met Mark, most certainly it was in the very early days of paddle-fishing.com and was probably at a paddle in. He was with Sharon and his brother Mike and we all got along great, right from the off, we always gravitated toward each other whenever our paths crossed at gatherings.

Unfortunately I never ever went fishing with Mark and Sharon, we met out on the water many times at Desoto and various other places, one time at Snug Harbor, Jay and I happened upon them both, Sharon was paddling her kayak wearing her fluffy pink slippers, we never let her live that down. It is with deep regret that I never followed through and arranged a trip out with Mark, we spoke of it many times.

Mark was many things, generous, self effacing, down to earth, one hell of a fisherman and a great sport, he was P-f.com's unofficial photographer in the early days, a great outdoors writer but most of all he was humble and honest.
Behind all those many qualities he was also truly a dynamic guy, somewhat like a swan, all cool and collected on the surface but going like the clappers below.
He had so many irons in the fire it was quite remarkable, writing, photography, fishing seminars, tournament director, as well as being a very active member at many local fishing clubs, I was amazed he ever had time to actually get out and wet a line. He managed to though and he managed it very well. He is one of the most talented fishermen I ever met, I held him in the highest regard.

Mark was a guy that would teach me something with every conversation we had, he was always willing to share, to guide, to offer an opinion or assistance if needed. He was always a guy to offer support and encouragement, he would always prod me about getting back in to writing articles and doing more artwork etc. something I let slide by so easily.

More recently our paths crossed at the BACK meetings and I always looked forward to seeing him there and then down at the Winghouse afterwards for a chat over a frosty beverage. Those meetings will be missing something from now on without him.

Of all the things I have mentioned above, it will be his smile that I will remember most, because I don''t think I ever saw Mark without it.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

John wrote: he was P-f.com's unofficial photographer in the early days
AND in the later days. Most of the PFTS pics over the years were taken by Mark. Except, of course, when he was one of the winners in the pics. Which was often.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I'm enjoying reading the Cook stories, but hate that he is not here to chuckle over them. Or maybe he is....
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I'm enjoying reading the Cook stories, but hate that he is not here to chuckle over them. Or maybe he is....
I like to think he is, and he is enjoying himself. I think of him everytime I tie a loop knot, he used to make fun of mine til he showed me the technique. Maybe I'll tie one wrong just to see if I can get one more laugh out of him.

He was the only guy I ever knew who had the guts to carry a plug with two treble hooks in his shirt pocket.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I had the opportunity to fish with Mark a number of times in the last couple of years and I looked forward to every one of them. I learned something from him everytime we went out. I fished the DOA tournament with im this year and had a great time. I know he was really looking forward to our club annual Cedar Key camping trip again this year. The camping trip is the first weekend in November this year and we are changing the name to the CooknFish camping trip in his honor.
R.I.P my friend.
Sam
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Does anyone remember the picture of him in the pink bunny suit?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The Man in full swing!!

Still the best dang tarpon kayak fishing video on the web.

Rest In Peace, gone but never forgotten!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thanks Johnny. A fitting epitaph for sure.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
airchip558

Post by airchip558 »

great catch and video prayers for family and friends
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

The tarpon video shows him as he would want to be remembered.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve