American Eagle Canoe - A journey to the Dark Side!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
John
Guv'ner

Re: American Eagle Canoe - A journey to the Dark Side!

Post by John »

Wait until you see the Shark Eyes up front, it is going to be one Sharp looking canoe.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Made more progress, installed the 12 Volt receptacle on the thwart for the GPS.

Mounted the GPS using a Scotty base so It's easy to remove, installing the Transducer had me scratching the noggin for a minute or two. The DSI technology does not lend itself to thru the hull installation, I also wanted the whole thing to be removable.

My solution came with the use of good old PVC pipe, 1/2" fits into a Scotty base perfectly, just a small slot needs to be cut into it.

2# 90's and an end cap, and a reworked pipe clip, a few Tie wraps and job done.

Didn't have time to wet test it yet, but it looks like it will work well.
Once I'm sure It's all good I'll strip it down and paint it all black, with nylon, well you gotta make it pretty ain't ya.

Now came the part I had been really looking forward too but also dreading, installing the Shark eye running lights. Cutting holes in the hull, had to get it right first time, so I made cardboard templates, taped them into position lined them up.
They looked good, so it was Dremell time, the cutting wheel got through the fiberglass real easy, then I used the sending attachment to shape and finish the holes.

I ran out of time this evening to connect them up and permanently mount them in position.

But mocked up, they look sharp.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Does anyone else find it interesting that John's registration identification ends with "ME"?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

4 ME
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

It has been just over a month since your last canoe update.....just wondering how it is going or if you are done.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Sorry mate, no progress of late been busy working on my houses, and doing a lot of traveling at work so no.time during the week.

I still have a few more mode to make, and will update when i get them done.
John
Guv'ner

The Eyes have it

Post by John »

Spooky looking

justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Wow John I just read this thread and you skills look exemplary. To really put this over the top a nice piece of teak or cypress for the thwart would add a bit of marine bling to your craft!
Credo quia absurdum
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

New thwart is planned Buccuroo
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The BAC just got some wheels.

Haven't worked on her in months or taken her out since my buddy Mark came over form the UK. We took her out to Shell Key, and really covered some ground, we went from the Toll Bridge launch to Shell key, out to Pass-a-Grill inlet and back to the launch including circling most of the back water keys en route. Total of 8.1 miles and the battery was still pushing us at 4mph.

With the trailer she'll get a lot more action as the bed extender was still too much hassle and a struggle with my aching back, especially hauling that Mofo of a battery in and out of the truck bed!

Should be putting the Hydro-turf in by the end of the month and the new thwart, also going to add a second thwart just behind the front seat, it will be to support my fishing rods.

Also going to have the guy I got my trailer from at Kayracks.com to do some mods, adding a couple of rollers to aid launching and reloading.

It's going to be nice to be able to keep it rigged and ready to go, battery and trolling motor in place!
TK

Post by TK »

Looking good John. Hope to see it soon
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

When you coming up for a visit TK?

Its been almost a year since I seen your Ginga ass!