Trial and error, and error, and error..........

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Trial and error, and error, and error..........

Post by DaveR »

There's a little slice of Heaven I fish that while looking completely pacific, harbors some unseen menace that has figured a way to undo my attempts at fooling the many redfish that call it home. Whether it be wading birds and raccoons spooking mudding redfish just as I was to cast. A snag catching a trailing line from my kayak emptying my reel. How the bail was open I'll never know. Swirling winds that would make it appear that I have never before cast an 8wt. Rays that do there best to imitate redfish, luring the buck fever ridden angler into a fruitless hunt. Even mullet running interference for the happy redfish that are often fully half out of the water. Something, everything, always seems to go wrong in these few scant acres.
Still I go back time and time again to this devils den dressed as a petting zoo. Knowing that a fellow named Isaac is going to spoil any fishing plans for the next few days last evening I headed out again. Started out like it often does. Serene, inviting, but I know better. I know the demons that lay just under the water would soon have me mumbling jabberwocky to myself.
The fish were not running the mud, instead just sulking on the warm bottom. I know this from the grunt and puff of mud as my kayak would get too close. Finally there it was. A telltale disturbance up against the bank that was surely a redfish. The stalk begins. Slowly, as not to disturb the target. Finally, I'm within range but wait. Something just ain't right. Sure enough, a decoy!
After a bit another target, thus time it's for real. Wind had calmed ,line was clear and my fly landed softly 18 inches in front of a happy redfish. A pause, a short strip. A pause, a strip, repeat. A strike! But I still see the redfish? Must have been another there I didn't see. After a short fight something didn't smell right. It smelled, just not right.
On to greener pastures and yet another redfish showed itself. A cast, a strip. A TAKE! This time there was little doubt I had finally outsmarted the gargoyles guarding these parts. After a sporting tussle, I had the fish in my mitt. No, not a giant but whether twenty four or thirty four, it is no matter. That evening I can claim victory over the demonic forces providing aegis over MISHAP COVE!
To celebrate my triumph the wind was at my back for a gleeful paddle home.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Trial and error, and error, and error..........

Post by BearsFan »

That was perfect. Thanks Dave!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Well done but for matters of saftey one should never fish alone. :wink:
0 0 1
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Great report with a happy ending. :thumbleft:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Dave....Very Nice..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Well done, both the fishing and the report.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Mishap Cove does not surrender her riches lightly!

Nicely done sir
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Very nice Dave!