DIY Rudder?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
kmeng

DIY Rudder?

Post by kmeng »

I have been doing a lot of research and shopping for a rudder for my yak. I paddled a friends perception caster 12.5 with a rudder and the tracking difference is night and day. There doesn't seem to be anyone who manufactures rudders for less than $200 and I can't spend that right now.

I'm going to try my hand at making my own DIY rudder. Has anyone done this on this forum? I searched but found nothing on here.

I found this:
http://www.yakangler.com/kayak-rigging/ ... yak-rudder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it looks like a relatively simple process. I'm going to try it out and hopefully I can find some aluminum laying around that I can mold the actual rudder out of.

If anyone has any advice, I sure would like to hear it.

Kurt
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: DIY Rudder?

Post by Todd »

Making your own rudder cannot be that complicated with the right material and tools.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

You'll probably spend $50 on material, gas, time...for $100 you might want to consider this.

Then there's ebay's option.

Seems like one of those things that might be worth the $ (IMHO).

I'm all for DIY, but think that a rudder would be one of those things I would buy versus build.
JB
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

After looking at the logistics of it all, and the fact I have limited tools here in FL; I have decided to cash in my Patron bottle full of coins to get the full kit from Duckworks. It seems like a stand-up company and not 15 mins after I ordered, they called me to personally thank me for the order. Customer services goes a long way with me, and I would recommend this company based on that alone. :cheers:

I'll let you know how it turns out!

And thanks for the ideas

Kurt
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive