Sarasota Bay fly fishing

Gibby3474

Sarasota Bay fly fishing

Post by Gibby3474 »

I had three fly-fishing charters this week with varying degrees of success with varying experience levels and skill.

First trip on Wednesday was very slow. My client only caught a few trout, ladyfish and jack crevalle.

Second trip on Thursday was better. Two guys (one very good, the other beginner). They combined for trout, bluefish, Spanish mackerel, redfish and snook.

On Friday, I had two fly-fishing guides from New Mexico and Arkansas respectively. The snook bite was one. They combined for six snook to 24 inches, six trout to 24 and four redfish to 28. In addition. they caught a jack crevalle and a 4-pound Spanish mackerel. No bluefish today.

We were fishing Sarasota Bay along the west shore. Best flies were a chartreuse-and-black Toad, Gibby's Duster and Puglisi minnows. Bite was best when the tide started pouring in.

Big reason for the guides' success was their casting ability. They could cast very well and were able to cover a lot of territory and keep their flies in the water for longer periods of time.

One think I find with most beginners is that their lack of success is directly related to their inability to reach casting distances greater than 25-30 feet. If you can hit 60 feet or more, it follows that your fly is in the water twice a long and you cover more territory.

The action is pretty good in Sarasota Bay right now.
Last edited by Gibby3474 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
Mike Hodge

Re: Sarasota Bay fly fishing

Post by Mike Hodge »

Steve: I agree completely.

The last month or so I've been out I've caught fish --- no reds, though --- mainly because I've blindcasted some; before, I resorted to sight casting only. Well, guess what: the fly wasn't in the water a whole hell of a lot.